I guess I have been on the “coconut kick” lately. I felt like something coconuty so I found a few recipes that I pieced together to make this one wonderful cake. This is my version Emeril Lagasse’s cake, and my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe.
For cake batter:
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
5 eggs (separated)
2 cups of flour
1 tsp of baking soda
1/2 cup of roasted crushed almonds
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of coconut shavings
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1/2 cup of butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups of powder sugar
10-15 drops of red food coloring
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a cake pan of your choice. I used a heart shaped pan, if you don’t have a shaped pan you can use two 8 in pans.
3. Cream the sugar and butter.
4. With the mixer running, add the oil and incorporate thoroughly.
5. Add the egg yolks, one at a time
6. Add 1 cup flour and baking soda together. Mix.
7. Add the heavy cream, mix,
8. Add the remaining cup of flour, mix.
9. Add the sour cream…Mix thoroughly.
10. Add almonds and fold in the coconut.
11. Using an electric mixer, in a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
12. Fold the egg whites into the batter.
13. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
14. Bake the cakes (if using 2 separate 8 inch pans) for about 25 to 30 minutes or if using a shape pan bake for 30 minutes then do a toothpick check and cook until toothpick comes out dry.
15. Remove the cakes from the oven and cool on a wire cake.
Frosting: In a separate bowl, mix all ingredients well. Use your own judgment for the amount of red coloring to add, depends on how pink or red you would like it to be.
Frost the cake…refrigirate for at least 2 hours…
*If using two cakes, make an extra 1/2 the recipe for frosting for the center of the cake.