This month we had an awesome challenge. Actually we had a surprise host this month as the scheduled host was not able to do the challenge. Last minute, Audax from Audax Artifex came to the rescue to keep the challenges going with Lis. Thank you so much Aud, for doing all the research and putting together some wonderful recipes for patties.
Zucchini, bacon & cheese fritters
2 medium zucchini (Squeezed well, don’t make my mistake)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup Smoked Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated cheese
5 slices crispy bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tbs chilli paste
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbs oil, for frying
1. Grate the zucchini, wrap in a cloth and squeeze dry with as much force as you can. (I actually didn’t squeeze as well as I should have so my patties were too liquid)
2. Bake the bacon at 375 until nice and crispy. (Or you can use pre-cooked.) Drain off the grease and chop into small pieces.
3. Return dried zucchini to bowl add bacon, cheese, pepper, sifted flour and baking powder, chilli paste, pepper, a little salt and the lightly beaten eggs.
4. Mix until combined if the batter is too thick you can add water or milk or another egg, if too wet add some more flour. It should be thick and should not flow when placed onto the frying pan. (Mine did, but it was still very very tasty)
5. Place the batter (about 2 tablespoons each) onto the fry pan widely spaced out. Lower heat to medium.
6. Fry for 4-5 minutes on each side. Repeat for the remaining batter. Adding extra oil if needed.
Basic Salmon and Rice Patties
1 can (15 oz) pink salmon drained well
1 bunch spinach, cooked, chopped & squeezed dry or 4 oz thawed frozen spinach squeezed dry
2 cups cooked white rice
1 large egg
about 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs for binding
3 tablespoons oil, for frying
1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tbs oyster sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs to coat the patties
1. Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl.
2. Mix and mash the ingredients using your hands or a strong spoon
3. Form patties using a 1/2 cup measuring cup
4. Cover in seasoned breadcrumbs
5. Heat up the oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Pan fry for about 10 minutes on each side.
* I am linking this recipe to the Wednesday and Thursday PARTIES. Why don’t you visit the wonderful hosts and link some of your own projects!?