|Sorry about the picture, it was late and dark|
(courtesy of my trusty Better Homes and Garden cookbook)
4 egg whites, room temperature
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening, softened
1 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup of buttermilk
(about 10 drops of blue food coloring, if need to make blue cake)
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate pieces
4 oz unsweet, dark chocolate pieces
6 tbs butter
4 oz sour cream
2 1/2 cups of powder sugar
1 cup powder sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs milk
5-6 drop of blue food coloring
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and lightly flour the 13×9 inch cake pan
~Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening for about 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla, beat until well combined.
2. Add egg whites, one at the time, beating until combined after each addition.
3. Alternating, add half the flour mixture then half the buttermilk. Mix well. Add the remaining flour mixture and remaining buttermilk. Beat until just combined, don’t over-mix!
4. Pour the mixture into the prepare baking pan. Make sure it’s evenly spread!
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool the cake for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Meanwhile make the frosting:
1. In a large, nonstick sauce pan, over medium-low heat, melt the chocolate and butter, stirring constantly
2. Cool for about 5 minutes
3. Stir in the sour cream.
4. Gradually add powder sugar, beating until smooth.
5. For Icing: combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until mixed well.
1. Cut the cake into 6 even squares.
2. Stack the 3 squares at the time, forming 2 cubes. Frost in between the layers. Then frost all the sides.
3. Using blue powder sugar, draw the lines on all the angles. Write whatever you want using the icing.
* I am linking this recipe to ALL the PARTIES. Why don’t you visit the wonderful hosts and link some of your own projects!?