Makes 12 cupcakes
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
Seeds from 1 large pomegranate
3-4 drops of red food coloring
COOL Whip Frosting (vanilla)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Take out all the seeds from the pomegranate. I used my handheld blender to blend/puree the seeds. **Please note: the actual seeds will not blend so you will need to use a cheese cloth or a sifter to separate the seeds.
3. Add vanilla extract, almond extract and food coloring to the pomegranate puree. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, on medium high, cream butter and sugar until light and white. Add the eggs and egg white, one at a time, beating after each addition.
5. Sift the flour, cake flour, salt and baking powder together. On low speed, alternating, add half the flour mixture, then half the milk and repeat.
6. Add the pomegranate mixture and mix until just combined, don’t over-mix.
7. Divide batter evenly among liners and bake for 18-20 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.