(makes 3 – 12 oz ramekins)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 large pomegranate, seeds separated
Powder sugar for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and grease 3 large ramekins.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients.
3. Sift in the flour, baking soda, sugar, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk until all combined.
4. Separate the batter between the ramekins equally.
5. Sprinkle some pomegranates on top on the cakes (You can also mix them in if you want)
6. Bake for 25-28 minutes, do a toothpick test for doneness and take them out of the oven. Let the cakes cool before taking them out of the ramekins.
**(You can also use 4 ramekins, less filled for smaller sized cakes. If using more or smaller ramekins, adjust baking time accordingly. If making cupcakes, bake for 13-15 minutes.)
7. Once the cakes are cooled, carefully take them out of the ramekins. Slide a butter knife between the ramekin and the cake, all around. Turn the ramekin upside down and slide out the cake into your palm. Plate the cake, sprinkle with powder sugar and pomegranate seeds.