I want to share an amazing cake with you today. It’s my favorite Russian cake and it’s so simple to make. Sharlotka (Шарлотка) is a Russian apple cake, it’s delicate and light. Wonderful to have with your morning tea or as an afternoon snack.
I know that I already posted one recipe for Sharlotka a couple of years ago but it is time that I update this recipe. Not only that the picture is old, I’ve also improved the recipe. So this is my improved Russian Apple Cake!
This cake is so traditional, just about every Russian knows it and knows how to make it. It’s so easy and has few simple ingredients. The result is amazing. Such a soft, light and delicate cake filled with Granny Smith apples. Even though you can use any apples in this cake, I highly recommend that you use green (Granny Smith) apples. The flavor balance between the sweet cake and sour apples is perfect!
In the recipe below, I mentioned two ways of baking the cake. You can use either a 9-inch springform or a 9×13 baking pan. Remember the baking time difference when making your choice. To me, baking it in a round springform will make it a little more fancy. If you will be serving it at a party or bringing it to work, fancy it up with a round shape and some powder sugar. But if you’re just making it for a quick family dessert, use a 9×13. It’s quicker and just as delicious!
- 6 small Granny Smith Apples (or 4 large ones)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking soda mix with 1/4 tsp vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9-inch springform pan (cake will rise so make sure that you are using a tall pan not a short cake pan) OR you can use a 9x13 casserole baking pan but watch the bake time.
- Peel core and dice the apples. Set aside.
- If using a stand-up electric mixer, use whisk attachment. Beat eggs and sugar on high, for a 2-3 of minutes, until light-yellow, thickened and about triple in size.
- Lower the speed to low and beat in vanilla and flour. Quickly mix baking soda and vinegar and add it to the batter.
- Mix batter and apples and add it to the cake pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes (if using 9x13 pan, bake time will be 20-25 minutes).
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Cake Ideas: