Amazing cold shrimp salad that is perfect for a variety of summer meals. This shrimp salad is made with delicious boiled shrimp, fresh avocado, fresh dill weed, green onions, and some celery for added crunch.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
My husband and I just spent a few days at the Amelia Island, relaxing, eating, and chilling at the beach. One of my favorite things to do is have coffee and read a newspaper on the beach in the morning. I get to do that every time we go on a little getaway but I totally miss it day to day. It’s nice living only a 20 minute car ride away from the beach but I can’t exactly take my coffee and drive to the beach every morning.
It’s my dream to move closer to the beach within a year or two…..HAHAHA, yea, it’s more like 10-15 years.
For now, we will enjoy our little getaways to the beach side BnBs. It’s nice, relaxing, and I love having beach side restaurants that serve fresh seafood. I had a lot of seafood while we were on our mini vacation. Without even realizing it, I had a shrimp salad three different times. Cold shrimp salad makes a nice summer dish and you can have it as a sandwich, as a salad, or as a side dish. You can also try it in tacos, lettuce wraps, and wrap sandwiches.
Vacations are great not just for relaxing but also, because I don’t have to cook. It’s a nice break for me from spending so much time in the kitchen every single day. The only drawback is the fact that food at the restaurants isn’t always as good as homemade. Just like all those shrimp salads that I had on my mini vacation, they were good but not even close to be as good as my own. My most common complaint is flavor development. So few restaurant truly add a lot of flavor to the dish. That is why homemade will always be so much better, besides knowing exactly what is in your meal, is the flavor development.
You know what you like best and adjusting the amounts of ingredients is what creates the tastiest dish for you and your family. It happens all too often when I think of ingredients I would add to the dish I’m eating in the restaurant to make it better. Anyone else does that?
- 1½ lbs raw shrimp (deveined, in shell)
- 1 lime
- 2 springs of dill weed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- About 2 quarts water
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ⅓ cup chopped green onion
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh dill weed
- ¼ cup mayo (little more if you like it saucier)
- Bring water to boil and add juice from lime, ½ of the squeezed lime, bay leaf, dill weed springs, salt, and pepper. Mix well and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add shrimp to the pot and cook until just done.
- Strain off water and let shrimp cool in the strainer until easy to handle.
- Peel shrimp once cooled and add them to a mixing bowl.
- Cut, pit, and peel avocado. Dice avocado meat and add it to the bowl.
- Add diced celery, green onion, and dill weed.
- Add lime juice and salt, gently mix.
- Add mayo and mix until all evenly coated.
- Cool for 30 minutes to an hour and serve.
- Store in the refrigerator, in an air-tight container.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Recipes From Me: