I am the official office baker at work, so when its someones birthday I always make a cake or anything they want for their birthday. I love doing that and I love having them search the web and try to find something challenging for me to make. This was not a challenge just a welcome! We have a new girl in the office and it was her birthday in July. Well we decided to make this one a surprise, as she was new and didn’t know about me making the cakes. My co-worker told me her favorite is red velvet cake, so we decided that I should make her some of those cupcakes as she’s been talking about cream cheese frosting for a while!
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 sticks butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake papers. (I also used another muffin cup as I had batter for 14 cupcakes)
2. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with an electric mixer.
3. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 3/4 filled.
5. Bake in oven for about 20. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
6. In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. (about 5 minutes)
7. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy. (about another 5 minutes)
8. Frosted the cool cupcakes.
* I am linking this recipe to the Saturday, Sunday and Monday PARTIES. Why don’t you visit the wonderful hosts and link some of your own projects!