Ingredients (Modified):1 large pumpkin, about 4-5 pounds
3 tbs unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion, peeled and minced
12 oz of fresh wild mushrooms
3 cups of mascarpone
12 oz of Swiss cheese, shredded
4 oz Parmesan cheese, shredded
3 whole eggs, beaten
2 tsp graded nutmeg
4 tbs unsalted butter
3-4 slices of firm, day old white bread, cut into about 1/2 inch squares
Preheat the oven to 375
1. Cut the top off the pumpkin, forming a cap (see picture). Scoop out all the seeds and strings from the inside. Set aside
2. In a medium saute pan, melt the butter and saute the onions and mushrooms until both are soft. Add some salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, combine the mascarpone, Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, nutmeg and some salt and pepper. Beat until well blended.
4. Stir in the cooked mushrooms and onions.
5. Melt the 4 tbs of butter in a clean saute pan. Add the cut bread chunks. Brown the bread stirring occasionally.
6. Place the pumpkin in a large heavy baking (I used 9 inch round cake pan). Spoon 1/3 of the mixture into the pumpkin. Layer half the bread. Spoon another 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the bread. Layer remaining bread. Spoon the remaining cheese mixture over the top.
7. Top off the pumpkin with the pumpkin cap. Bake the pumpkin for 1 1/2 hours or until the pumpkin’s flesh is soft. Serve immediately.
* I am linking this recipe to ALL the PARTIES in my party tab. Why don’t you visit the wonderful hosts and link some of your own projects!