This is an amazing chicken dinner idea that is fun for kids and adults! Delicious Chicken Parmesan made into a roll up makes a flavorful, juicy and tender chicken dish.
Chicken Parmesan is one of my husband’s and son’s favorite meals. I would say it’s in the top 5 most favorite. I asked him what his favorite 5 dishes that I made are and he said Chicken Stroganoff, Chicken Kiev, Chicken Marsala (new recipe coming soon), Chicken Parmesan and Steak Diane. I sense a pattern of chicken here.
So today is the first day back to school for me! Don’t be scared, I won’t abandon you! I actually have a pretty easy semester this time. I only have two courses to take and one of them in online. I don’t like online courses but they are pretty easy. Of course, now that I said that it will be a pain. Let’s hope not because I barely had time to cook the last three semesters and you guys need new recipes! See how much I love you?! Wish me luck for my last semester!
Back to these delicious chicken roll ups…
These roll ups are made with tender, pounded chicken. It’s stuffed with mozzarella cheese and Marinara sauce and breaded lightly. It’s baked to perfection with some shredded, crisped Parmesan cheese on top. These roll ups are very easy to make, so don’t worry. I love the presentation of this meal too. It could be very nice for a dinner party or for a fun family meal.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4-6 oz of sliced Mozzarella cheese (depending on how cheesy you want it)
- 1½ cups of Marinara sauce
- 4-5 leaves of fresh basil
- ⅔ cup of Italian bread crumbs
- ¼ cup of dry Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease a small casserole baking dish. (If doubling the recipe, use a bigger baking dish.)
- Slice the chicken breasts in two, width-wise (like you would butterfly it but all the way through). Cover the cutting board with saran wrap, place the chicken halves on it and cover them with another sheet of saran wrap. Pound the chicken halves carefully, do not pound all the way thorough or break the skin. Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Mix bread crumbs with dry Parmesan cheese and some salt and set aside. Mix the marinara sauce with some minced basil and set side.
- Spread about 1-2 tbs of marinara sauce over the chicken.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into thin slices and divide them between the chicken halves (about 2-3 slices per breast).
- Roll up the chicken, tightly. Bread the chicken by rolling it in bread crumbs, then the whisked egg and then again in bread crumbs.
- Spread the remaining marinara sauce over the bottom of the baking dish and place the chicken in the dish, seam down.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle the shredded Parmesan over the chicken and bake for another 5-7 minutes.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Chicken Dinner Ideas: