Unbelievable Meatball Sub sandwich. Juicy meatballs made with buffalo meat and bacon stacked in a soft pretzel sub roll, baked with sauteed onions, mushrooms and bacon and topped with lots of mozzarella cheese.
I don’t even know where to start telling you about this sandwich because it’s so amazing!
These meatball subs would be absolutely perfect to treat that special dad for Father’s day. These juicy meatballs are stuffed into a pretzel sub, over delicious mushrooms and onions that were sauteed with some bacon. It’s all topped with some shredded mozzarella cheese and baked for a few minutes in the oven. Crispy buns and melted cheese is just the perfect finish to this scrumptious sandwich. You should be sitting when you take that first bite because trust me, your knees will buckle.
Let me tell you about these meatballs…
I asked hubs for some Father’s Day food ideas a couple of weeks ago and his first thought was adding bacon to my meatballs. At first, I thought the bacon flavor might be too subtle in meatballs but I was wrong. You can definitely taste the bacon in it. These meatballs are also made out of ground buffalo meat. The texture is light and soft, and meatballs themselves are very juicy.
To put things over the top, I also added some mushrooms and onions that have been sauteed with bacon to the sandwich. The whole combination is just a perfection on a plate…and in your mouth!
Bacon Buffalo Meatballs
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat
- 4 raw bacon strips preferably smoked, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 small Vidalia onion diced
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground buffalo, diced raw bacon, bread crumbs, eggs, diced onion, pressed garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix all ingredients very well.
- Preheat a large skillet with oil over medium heat.
- Scoop out some meat and roll it into a ball, about 1 inch in size. Repeat with remaining meat. Add meatballs to the pan.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, still over medium heat and covered. Flip each meatball and cook for about 10 more minutes on the other side. (Cut into the biggest meatball to make sure it is fully cooked.)
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
- 8 Bacon Buffalo Meatballs (see recipe above)
- 2 pretzel subs
- 4 oz portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small Vidalia onion, sliced
- 3 raw bacon strips (preferably smoked), diced
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- About 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- If you are making meatballs and subs on the same day, use the skillet where you made meatballs to cook your onions and mushrooms, just drain meatball juice into the container with meatballs. Don’t clean the skillet.
- Start cooking diced bacon in the skillet, over medium heat.
- After a couple of minutes, add sliced onion and mushrooms and season with some salt and pepper.
- Cook until onions and mushrooms are fully done and golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice pretzel buns on top, but not all the way through.
- Divide onion/mushroom mixture between two subs. Top off with 4 meatballs each. Top off with about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, until cheese is all melted.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Meatball Sub on a Stick from Cookies and Cups
Meatball Sub Pizza from Let’s Dish Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Meatball Sub from Pixilated Crumb
Meatball Sub Dip from Dip Recipe Creations
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!