Delicious and super easy side dish, perfect for any dinner table. Fresh spinach and crimini mushrooms cooked in white wine sauce.
We place such big focus on the turkey, sometimes side dishes get put on the back burner. For me, side dishes are as important as the main protein on the dinner table. Turkey (or ham to many) is very important on holidays, don’t get me wrong, but side dishes is what makes every bite as delicious as possible.
So side dishes, is where I get a chance to shine every year. There are always potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and of course veggies. A holiday table always needs something green on it.
I know creamed spinach and green beans may not seem like a very creative dish but you can put some nice twists on it. This one in particular is made with a delicious creamy white wine sauce. It’s a simple wine sauce base but it makes a lot of difference in the flavor.
This side definitely needs to make an appearance at your dinner table. I think it may even convert the non-green, non-veggie people.
How To Make This Spinach Side Dish
This creamed spinach will only take you about 20-25 minutes to make, so you can knock it out in the last few minutes before dinner. Just remember to prep the ingredients first, before starting to cook.
Sauté chopped mushrooms and spinach in a preheated, oiled cooking pan. Season with some salt and pepper and cook it cover until spinach is a little more than half way cooked down, stir occasionally.
Take off the lid and continue cooking until spinach is all wilted. Mix and add minced garlic to the veggies mixture.
Pour in white wine and simmer for a few minutes. Stir in heavy cream, taste and add more salt if needed.
Lower the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for about 5 minutes. Take off heat and serve!
Some More Green Holiday Side Dishes
Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms in White Wine Sauce
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat a large cooking pan over medium heat and add oil.
- Chop spinach and slice mushrooms. Add mushrooms and spinach into the cooking pan. Season with some salt and pepper, cover and cook until spinach is a little more than half way cooked down, stir occasionally.
- Take off the lid and continue cooking until spinach is all wilted. Peel garlic cloves and smash them with your knife (be careful or use a metal spatula to smash it). Add garlic to spinach and mushrooms and mix well.
- Add white wine and simmer for a few minutes. Add heavy cream, taste and add more salt as needed. Simmer for about 5 minutes and serve.