Classic summer barbecue side dish made with fantastic flavorful additions. Soft yellow potatoes are mixed with lots of roasted garlic and some Asiago cheese.
The whole time we lived in our apartment, we dreamed about having a house for many reasons, and one of the biggest reasons was barbecuing. My husband grew up barbecuing with his family and I’ve always had so much fun at the barbecue parties. We couldn’t wait to be the ones to throw the parties. Now, we finally have a house and it’s been six months before we even had our first bbq party.
I never realized how hard it is to gather a bunch of people together in one place, at the same time. What makes it especially hard is having several friends that are in the restaurant industry. Getting their schedules together is like trying to get a doctor’s appointment. “Ummm…let me see…yeap, next free day I have is 5 weeks from now.” And then, try to coordinate one date among all those people. Sigh! I miss the whole “9 to 5” weekday work schedule that I’ve heard people have.
Somehow, I pulled off getting some family and friends together for a little bbq party last week. A little grilling, a little cooking, a lot of talking and having some fun. Of course, I wanted to make some classics dishes but my own way. Our favorite classic barbecue side dish is a potato salad. You just can’t have a bbq party or any kind of a cookout without a potato salad.
Roasted garlic rocks, don’t you agree?! Roasted garlic and potatoes make a such a nice pair together. Really, roasted garlic is great with everything and especially this potatoes salad. Why? Because it has a great compliment of Asiago cheese in it. Asiago enhances the flavors of roasted garlic and adds a nice sharp cheesy flavor to the potato salad. At first, I was concerned that it might be a little overpowering, but seeing how fast people inhaled it, took all my concerned away. Hubs and everyone else loved the salad, he even begged me to make it again the next day.
It’s now a new favorite potato salad here and I hope it will become yours too!
Roasted Garlic Asiago Potato Salad
- 2 garlic bulbs
- Olive oil
- 3 lbs yellow potatoes try to pick potatoes that are the same size
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp mayo
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chives
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut off tips from garlic cloves still on the bulb (leave skin on) and place them on separate aluminum foil squares that you can wrap them in. Drizzle some olive oil on each garlic bulb. Wrap each garlic bulb in aluminum foil. Place wrapped garlic on the baking sheet.
- Bake garlic for 25-30 minutes, depending on the size of the bulb.
- While garlic is roasting, cook whole potatoes. Cook potatoes in salted, boiling water (on medium high heat) until just done but not falling apart.
- Let potatoes cool completely before cutting.
- Cut all cooked potatoes into cubes and place them into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine roasted garlic meat, sour cream, mayo, and olive oil. Mix well until all combined and smooth.
- Mince chives and add them to the potatoes.
- Add sour cream mixture, salt, and pepper.
- Add grated Asiago cheese and mix everything well but carefully but to mush your potatoes.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Texas Style New Potato Salad from She Wears Many Hats
Balsamic Roasted Potato Salad from Your Homebased Mom
Sweet Potato Salad from Well Plated
Old-Fashioned Potato Salad from Love Bakes Good Cakes
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Potato Salad Recipes: