Salmon Burger just got better by introducing it to the grill! Homemade salmon patties made with mouthwatering grilled salmon and mixed with onion, red bell pepper, and fresh herbs. They are grilled for a few more minutes and paired perfectly with the soft brioche buns, lettuce, tomato, and homemade sauce for the best bite!
Grilled Salmon Burgers
Hello summer, and hello grilling everything! Of all the ways to prepare salmon, this is one of my absolute favorites. One of the best ways to make salmon, in my opinion, is to grill it and infuse it in the mild, smoky flavor that is irresistible. These salmon burgers will be your go-to burgers this summer because they are not just grilled once, but twice!
First, I grill the salmon filet that is simply seasoned with salt and pepper until it is perfectly done and juicy. Then, I use the grilled salmon to make burger patties and grill them again for a few minutes, until just done. Trust me, with this easy method of grilling twice, the flavor that the salmon gets is incomparably delicious. It’s got that delicious grilled and smokey flavor that is complimentary to the fish without overpowering it.
When assembling the burgers themselves, you can really do it however you’d like. With that being said… I think I really have it down to a science, and I highly recommend using my burger recipe down to the brioche bun! Lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo, mustard, lemon juice and capers all come together to create one heck of an unforgettable bite.
Ingredients for Salmon Burgers
For the salmon patties:
- Salmon Filets – Skin-on filets are the way to go! Also, try to get a whole filet cut that is about 1.5 to 1.75 lbs. It will be easier to grill and flake off for the patties as opposed to individual filets.
- Onion – dice it as finely as you can.
- Red Bell Pepper – Finely dice the pepper! When biting into the patty, you don’t want a large chunk of pepper or onion.
- Mayonnaise – Full fat or low fat mayonnaise will both get the job done.
- Dijon Mustard – It must be Dijon, not plain yellow mustard.
- Bread Crumbs – plain breadcrumbs work best for holding these patties together or you can use gluten free if you need to.
- Garlic – fresh garlic will give you the best flavor.
- Egg – I use free range organic eggs for best results.
- Lemon Juice – Use fresh lemon juice from a squeezed lemon for the best flavor.
- Parsley – Fresh will give you the best taste.
- Dill Weed – This herb also should to be fresh.
- Salt and Pepper – Just enough of each to taste.
- Oil – You can use avocado or olive oil to rub the salmon and grill basket.
The salmon burgers:
- Brioche Buns – These are, without doubt, the best buns to use for these delicate salmon burgers.
- Tomato – Slice the tomato very thinly for the best bite.
- Red Onion – The slightly sweet onion flavor from the red onion is perfect for these burgers.
- Dijon Mustard
- Lemon Juice
- Capers – Don’t skip out on capers! These salty additions to the salmon are my favorite part.
How to Make Grilled Salmon
Rub the entire salmon filet with oil, salt, and pepper.
Place the salmon, skin side down, on the grill. Cook the salmon with the lid closed until it’s opaque and firm to the touch.
How to Make Salmon Patties
Allow the salmon to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes, then flake the meat from the skin.
Combine all of the patty ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Combine everything thoroughly.
Shape the salmon mixture into patties. Place them on a greased grill basket, then spray a little cooking oil on each patty.
Place the grill basket with patties onto the grill. Close the lid, then cook the patties for 5-6 minutes.
Carefully flip each patty, then cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the grill.
How to Make Salmon Burgers
Combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and capers together to form a sauce.
Assemble the burgers by placing a patty on each bun, adding sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and whatever else you’d like. Enjoy!
Tips For The Best Salmon Burgers
- When grilling salmon, grease the salmon with oil not the grill grate. BUT, make sure that the grill grate is clean before adding salmon.
- Some salmon can be juicier than others, so if your salmon patty mixture looks a little thin, add 2-4 more tablespoons of bread crumbs.
- When grilling salmon patties, it’s best to do it on a grill basket because the space between the bars on the grill grate is too wide.
- Make sure to grease the grill basket before adding the salmon patties and the spray the tops of the patties with cooking oil. This way, when you flip them, it will prevent them from sticking.
- To make these grilled salmon patties gluten free, use gluten free bread crumbs. You can also use gluten free buns for the burgers, but note that it will be tougher because gluten free bread is much more dense.
Can I make salmon burgers ahead of time?
You can grill salmon ahead of time and then keep it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator until ready to make the patties and burgers. I don’t recommend mixing the salmon patty mixture ahead of time, because diced vegetables will give out excess juices when sitting there.
Can I freeze salmon patties?
Yes, but it’s best to freeze shaped salmon patties before cooking them. Follow the recipe to grill salmon and mix salmon patties mixture and shape the patties. Place the patties on the cutting board lined with parchment paper and freeze it for about 2 hours. Don’t forget to set the timer so you don’t forget about them!
Once salmon patties are frozen, wrap each one in plastic wrap and place them into a zip-lock freezer bag. Label the bag and place it in the freezer. Salmon patties can last in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Slow-thaw frozen salmon patties in the refrigerator and then grill them as instructed in the recipe.
Enjoy more delicious salmon recipes!
Blackened Salmon – a perfectly easy, 20-minute salmon recipe coated in a rich combination of herbs and spices and seared in a pan
Salmon Patties – Juicy, tender salmon patties made with fresh raw salmon salmon, onions, peppers, herbs, lemon juice, and a few other flavorful ingredients.
Teriyaki Salmon – baked in a delicious homemade teriyaki sauce and you can serve it over rice, salad, or vegetables
Salmon and Rice Patties – soft and flavorful on the inside and have a delightful crunchy outer shell.
Grilled Salmon Burger
- 1.5 lb skin on salmon filet (1.5-1.75 lb filet will work)
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh minced parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh minced dill weed
- black pepper
- oil to rub salmon and grill basket
To Make The Burges:
- 4-5 Brioche buns
- tomato sliced thin
- red onion sliced thin
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp capers
To Grill Salmon:
- Prepare the grill to have two temperature zones and make sure to clean the grill grate. (Even though you will be cooking over the hot zone, you may need to move salmon over to the cooler side if the skin starts to burn before it's cooked through.)
- Rub salmon all around, especially the skin, with some oil and season it with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon in the grill skin down and cook it, with the lid closed, until it's opaque and firm to the touch. Depending on the thickness of salmon, it will take from 15-20 minutes. Thicker filet, may take a few minutes longer. (Please note, that if you are cooking several thin filets and not one 1.5 piece, it will take much less time, around 8-12 minutes.)
Preparing Salmon Patties:
- Prepare all the ingredients for the salmon patties while salmon is cooking.
- Once salmon is done, take it off the grill and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to flake the meat off the skin. Discard the skin and place the cooked salmon meat into a mixing bowl.
- Add all onions, bell pepper, pressed garlic, egg, bread crumbs, mayo, Dijon mustard, herbs, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the bowl with salmon meat and mix everything to combine thoroughly.
- Note: it's best to use a grill basket, grill wok (with holes), or another grill topper for holding the salmon patties. Make sure to grease a grill basket first, before adding the patties onto it.
- Shape salmon mixture into patties that are about 4 inches in diameter and place them onto the greased grill basket. Spray some cooking oil on top of each patty.
- Place the grill basket with patties onto the grill, close the lid and cook for 5-6 minutes. Carefully flip each patty over and add cook another 5 minutes.
- Take it off the grill.
Make Salmon Burgers:
- Combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and capers together for the sauce.
- To make the burgers, simply divide the salmon patties among the Brioche buns, add some sauce, lettuce, tomato slices, thinly sliced onions, and any other toppings you would like.