I’m sharing my absolute favorite dish to prepare on the grill and my favorite recipe. This is Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon and it is fantastic! Fresh salmon grilled on a cedar plank, smothered in creamy lemon dill sauce.
CEDAR PLANK SALMON
This is one amazing dish that I hope you will get a chance to make this weekend…or any other day really!
This salmon gets it’s wonderful smokey flavor from the cedar plank that it is cooked on. I just love that wood flavor that is smoked into the fish. It reminds me of all the camping trips I used to go on a long, long time ago.
When I was still in Russia, my friends and I used to go camping almost every weekend in the summer. Our camping trips involved campfires, shish kebabs and listening to guys play guitar all night. I really miss those fun days in the woods, especially the grilling on a wood campfire. There is something about meat that was cooked over wood fire that is unbelievably delicious.
HOW TO PREPARE CEDAR PLANK
The most important step to remember when grilling on cedar plank is to soak it first. Soak it for 1-2 hours. I noticed a little more burning when it’s only been soaked for 30 minutes.
To soak the cedar plank, I often use either a roasting pan or an aluminum pan. Place cedar planks into a roasting pan big enough to easily fit the planks and add water to cover the cedar planks completely. Place something heavy, like a mug filled with water, on top of the planks to keep it submerged.
You can leave the planks in the water until ready to put them on the grill and cook.
HOW TO COOK SALMON ON CEDAR PLANK
Start preparing the coals and grill about 20 minutes before you’re ready to cook. Once the coals are ashed over and grill is preheated, place soaked cedar planks on the grill and leave them for about 10 minutes to heat through.
When the cedar planks are heated, place salmon on the cedar plank, skin down.
Close the grill lid and let salmon cook for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the salmon. Larger and thicker pieces may take up to 25 minutes.
Take the planks off the grill and take salmon off the blanks as soon as it’s done or the hot plank will continue to cook salmon.
SOME MORE RECIPES TO TRY
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon
- 1 lb of fresh salmon skin on
- 1 cedar plank soaked for 2 hours in water
- Soaked wood chips preferable but not necessary
- 1/3 cup of mayo
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp minced fresh dill
- fresh cracked pepper
- Make sure the cedar plank was soaked for a while. While the plank is soaking, marinade the salmon.
- Cut salmon into 3-4 even pieces. Leave the skin on.
- Mix mayo, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper together until all combined.
- Rub creamy sauce over the salmon, cover it in foil and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Once the coals are ready, add wood chips if you are using them. Follow directions on the package.
- Place salmon, skin down, on the cedar plank.
- Place the plank on the grill and cover it. Cook for 15-25 minutes, until light pink throughout and still moist. Cooking time will depend in the thickness and size of salmon. While cooking, touch salmon on the thickest part to feel if it is firm. It will feel firm and no longer squishy when done.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Originally published on Will Cook For Smiles on May 22, 2014. Updated May 11, 2019.