Amazing grilled cedar plank salmon recipe. Juicy salmon is marinated in a honey ginger marinade for a few minutes and then grilled on a cedar plank to infuse salmon with a light smokey finish. Grilling it on a cedar plank creates salmon that is extra tender and moist.
CEDAR PLANK SALMON
Oh, salmon, how I’ve missed you!
It’s been a whole month since I’ve had even a bite of salmon. That’s just too long. As much as I like Mahi Mahi and cod, salmon is my favorite fish and nothing can come close. Baked salmon and grilled salmon are two main ways that I prefer to prepare it.
It’s grilling season and I need to work on perfecting my grilling skills. This year, I will be tackling more fish, chicken wings, and I want to try desserts. Last week, we enjoyed two new grill recipes and I can’t wait to share them. Today, I am sharing a new salmon recipe.
This weekend, I took advantage of nice weather and hubby being away at work to make myself a succulent cedar plank salmon. Hubby hates seafood so I make my seafood when he is at work so I don’t have to hear him complain that it smells like fish. Personally, I love that smell. I love the smell when I open the oven to take out my tasty fish and I love the smell when I open the grill when salmon is done. It always smells heavenly.
HOW TO MAKE CEDAR PLANK SALMON:
Start by soaking the cedar plank in water for 30-60 minutes. Depending on the seasoning you are using on salmon, you can also add some complimenting flavors to the water where the plank is soaking. Add some herbs or lemon peels to the water for additional flavors. To go with today’s recipe, you can add a little fresh ginger to the water.
While cedar plank is soaking, marinade salmon fillets as well. To do that combine marinade ingredients in a zip lock bag, mix them well and add salmon. Move air out of the bag and close it. Let salmon marinade while cedar plank is soaking.
While cedar plank is soaking and salmon is marinading, prepare the coals and preheat the grill. (Or, simply turn on the gas grill to preheat it.) Grill temperature should be around 400-425 degrees.
Place salmon fillets on the cedar plank skin down. Save the marinade.
Place cedar plank on the grill and close it. Let salmon cook until just done. Depending on the thickness of the salmon, it will take 18-25 minutes.
As for marinade, I usually pour it in a little metal pot and let it cook down on the grill while salmon is cooking. Check to make sure that you don’t over-reduce the marinade. You may need to take it off the grill sooner than the fish.
While salmon is cooking, I spoon some marinade/sauce over the top about half way through and towards the end.
SOME MORE GRILLING RECIPES:
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Honey Ginger Cedar Plank Salmon
- 1 lb salmon fillet skin on
- 3 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce low sodium
- 1 cedar plank
- Start by soaking the cedar plank in water for 30-60 minutes.
- While cedar plank is soaking, marinade salmon fillets as well. To do that combine marinade ingredients in a zip lock bag, mix them well and add salmon. Move air out of the bag and close it. Let salmon marinade while cedar plank is soaking.
- While cedar plank is soaking and salmon is marinading, prepare the coals and preheat the grill. (Or, simply turn on the gas grill to peheat it.) Grill temperature should be around 400-425 degrees.
- Place salmon fillets on the cedar plank, skin down. Save the marinade.
- Place cedar plank on the grill and close it. Let salmon cook until just done. Depending on the thickness of the salmon, it will take 18-25 minutes.
- For marinade: you can cook the marinade to create sauce for topping off salmon and you can cook it on stove top or on the grill. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon some sauce over the top of salmon while it's cooking, about half way through the cooking and towards the end.
- Save a little sauce to top off the side you will be serving with the salmon.
The BEST salmon I have ever made. The cedar plank infused the fish with an amazing smoked flavor. It was a big hit with the family. I did everything exactly as stated in the recipe, the only thing I did different was to marinate the salmon in the frig for a few hours. Wonderful!
Wow! Thank you, Carol! I am so happy your family liked it!
Christine Tammearu says
I made this tonight and it was great. Kids loved it.
That’s great! So happy they liked it! 🙂
We made this on a charcoal grill!!! Its was best Ive ever had! It had a smokey flavor from the charcoal. Amazing!
Thank you for the sweet compliment, Lora! I am so pleased you liked it! 🙂
Julienne Royer says
Est-ce que je peux avoir les recettes en français svp merci