Classic Eggplant Parmesan turned into a delightful hot sub sandwich. Perfect lunch, full of wonderful flavors and ready in less than 30 minutes.
This was probably my favorite lunch in weeks!
I’ve been craving some Eggplant Parmesan for a while and took it as a sign when one literally fell on my head at the store. It’s a funny story really. I was picking up a few things at the grocery store, just grooving along to the music in my head. (I’m not crazy, I had earphones in and listening to music on my phone. I knew you were thinking that!) So, while getting a few things in the produce section, I bent down to pick out some peppers. You know how grocery stores always have produce piled on top of each other mile high? Well, apparently eggplants were right above me and a guy standing next to me needed one. He got one while a few others came crashing down down and one happened to land on my head. Naturally, I knew it wanted to be my Eggplant Parmesan. While the guy apologized profusely, I just told him thanks for the lunch suggestion!
The eggplant was absolutely right! It made a delicious Open Faced Baked Eggplant Parmesan Sub. Fresh whole grain 12-inch sub, drizzled with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, topped with Marinara sauce, some fresh basil, lightly breaded eggplant slices and lots of cheese. Ahhh, what can be better?
Did you know that you could save the recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List! Don’t forget to check deals and coupons!
Open Faced Baked Eggplant Parmesan Sub
- 12 inch whole grain Italian sub bread
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1 1/2 cup Italian Bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup dry Parmesan cheese
- salt pepper
- 2 eggs
- salt pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil for cooking
- Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar for bread
- About 1 1/2 cups of Marinara sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced basil
- 1 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Peel the eggplant and cut it into 1/4 inch slices, discarding tips.
- Combine bread crumbs, dry Parmesan cheese and some salt and pepper in one shallow bowl. Whisk eggs with a little salt and pepper in another wide, shallow bowl.
- Batter eggplant slices by first pressing it in bread crumbs, then dip it in eggs, then in bread crumbs again, patting the breading down.
- Preheat a skillet with 2 tbs of oil. Saute eggplant slices for about 5 minutes on each side, until soft and golden.
- Cut sub along the side but not all the way through. Cut it in half, making two 6-inch subs, sliced open. Place bread on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle open sub with some olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar.
- Spread half of Marinara sauce on the bread and sprinkle minced basil, evenly.
- Layer cooked eggplant slices and spread remaining sauce over eggplant.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese and then grate some Parmesan over the top.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Baba Ghanoush from Jessica in the Kitchen
Eggplant Patties from The Iron You
Eggplant Pizza from Eat Good For Life
Eggplant Sandwich with Habanero Pesto from Snack Fixation
Roasted Garlic Eggplant Lasagna Boats from Half Baked Harvest
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Sub Recipes From Me: