- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots
- 2 large carrots peeled and shredded
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 cup of Ale
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese preferably block
- Melt the butter in the pot on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and shredded carrots, cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic and stir well.
- Sprinkle the flour, stir until combined and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ale, while stirring, and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the Worcestershire, milk, broth, salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 13 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Pour back into the pot, set the heat to medium-low.
- Add the cheese by the handful, stirring constantly (do not boil). Keep stirring until all cheese is melted.
Happy St. Paddy’s week! Check out a couple more ideas I have:
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!