Blue Cheese Dressing is great to make homemade when needed, and it’s so much better than any store-bought brand! This delicious homemade dressing is smooth and flavorful with a nicely balanced blue cheese flavor. It will take you 5 minutes to put together anytime you need a dipping sauce for the wings or to dress your salads.
Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue cheese dressing is what I consider a kitchen staple – I always have a bottle of it handy. Whether I toss it on a salad or use it to dip my wings in, I’m always happy I have a bottle of this homemade dressing to reach for!
This recipe for homemade blue cheese is so much silkier with a smoother flavor than any the store-bought stuff I’ve tried. Additionally, this dressing is made with quality ingredients! Unlike store-bought bottles of blue cheese, you know and choose all ingredients that go into it.
Legend has it, blue cheese dressing was first created by a man named Oscar Tschirky. He introduced the dressing to guests at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City, and it quickly gained popularity. If you’ve ever had true homemade blue cheese dressing, it’s not difficult to see why is became so popular!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Besides being preservative-free, I also love these ingredients because of how inexpensive they all are! Making your own dressing should always be stress free.
- Sour Cream – Sour cream really helps to create the smooth, silky consistency of the dressing and balances out the mayo. It also adds a wonderful added tanginess without being overpowering! Light sour cream can be used, but regular sour cream will give the best results.
- Mayonnaise – For this dressing recipe, choose a plain mayo with no added flavors like olive oil. Opt for regular mayo because reduced fat one tends to have a different taste.
- Crumbled Blue Cheese – The amount of blue cheese this recipe calls for is perfect, because it gives the dressing a delicious note of blue cheese without it being too overpowering. However, if you really love the taste of blue cheese, feel free to add a little more!
- Whole Milk – Without milk, the dressing will be too thick to pour. In order to make the dressing thin enough to use as a salad dressing, milk is required. You can also use buttermilk for a hint of extra tanginess.
- White Vinegar – Combined with the tanginess of the sour cream, this small splash of white vinegar makes this dressing truly mouthwatering.
- Worcestershire Sauce – With just a teaspoon of this ingredient, it will give it just the right amount of enhanced flavor.
- Black Pepper – Freshly cracked black pepper is always the best!
How to Make the Best Blue Cheese Dressing
If you’re using a block of blue cheese, be sure to crumble it prior to mixing.
Then, place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Using a whisk, mix all of the ingredients thoroughly until they’re all fully combined.
As you go, press on some of the larger blue cheese crumbles, that way their flavor is incorporated throughout the dressing.
Serve the blue cheese right away, or store it in the refrigerator for later. Enjoy!
How to Store Blue Cheese Dressing
For the easiest and most accessible storage, place the blue cheese in a glass jar that has an airtight lid.
Keep the jar of dressing in the refrigerator, where it will stay fresh for 5-7 days.
When you go to scoop dressing from the jar, be sure to use clean utensils! If your spoon has bacteria on it, the dressing will quickly go bad. If able to, it’s best to pour the dressing right out of the jar.
Ways to Use Blue Cheese Dressing
Honestly, there are too many ways to use blue cheese dressing to mention them all! Here are just a few of my favorite ways to enjoy this classic homemade dressing:
- Dip your wings! It’s delicious to dip celery into. It’s especially mouthwatering when dipped with Baked Chickens Wings, Lemon Pepper Grilled Chicken Wings and really all of them!
- This dressing can be used on just about ANY salad and make it amazing.
- I usually make my favorite Buffalo Chicken Wrap with ranch, but lately, I’ve been using this blue cheese dressing instead.
- Try it on chicken nachos too!
More Easy Salad Dressing Recipes I Love:
Homemade Ranch Dressing – a creamy combination of sour cream, buttermilk, some mayo, fresh dill, fresh parsley, fresh garlic, and cracked peppercorns.
Italian Dressing – a homemade dressing that is fantastic on salads, roasted vegetables, and can be used as a flavorful meat marinade.
Creamy Avocado Dressing – a delicious, smooth and creamy avocado dressing, made with fresh avocados, jalapeno pepper, buttermilk and cilantro.
Caesar Dressing – nothing like a homemade Caesar Salad with this flavorful dressing and croutons.
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 6 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- Crumble blue cheese off the block if using a block.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to incorporate. Press on some of the blue cheese crumbles as you mix to incorporate that flavor throughout the dressing.
- Serve right away or store in the refrigerator for later.
- Store blue cheese dressing in a glass jar with an air-tight lid, in the refrigerator. Homemade blue cheese dressing should be good for 5-7 days when properly stored.
- Make sure to use clean utensil each time you get some dressing out or for best results, pour the some out of the jar instead.
This was so much better than store bought!