Wonderful warm apple treat, better than apple pie! Comforting apple bread pudding made with easy homemade apple pie filling. Serve it hot and with some vanilla ice cream on top for the ultimate taste experience.
APPLE BREAD PUDDING
Yes, it truly IS a heavenly apple treat!
“Better than apple pie” is a pretty strong claim to make, but I’m sticking by it. As wonderful as a good ol’ apple pie can be, especially the Dutch kind with crumble on top, this is just better. Taking two delicious and comforting desserts and putting them together is what makes this extra special.
As soon as I took the first bite this warm, apple filled bread pudding, with melting vanilla ice cream, my whole body melted into the chair with delight. Hubs and I raced to finish the piece we were splitting and then sat there, enjoying the taste and love it left behind.
The next morning, I couldn’t wait to have some more so I had a slice of this divine apple pie bread pudding for breakfast. Hey, it has eggs and milk, it can totally count as breakfast food!
SOME MORE RECIPES TO TRY:
Pumpkin Pie Bread Pudding with Challah from Creole Contessa
Nutella Bread Pudding from A Night Owl Blog
Chocolate Bread Pudding from Something Swanky
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Apple Pie Bread Pudding
- 14 oz French bread stale
- 1 3/4 lb gala apples
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp apple pie spice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 5 eggs
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: ice cream for serving
- About 24 hours before preparing this bread pudding, cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes and spread it out on a large baking sheet. Leave it out to get stale for about a day.
- Apple Pie Filling:
- Peel, core and dice apples.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir well with a whisk. Add 3/4 cup of brown sugar and stir well.
- Add diced apples, apple pie spice and water, stir and cover. Cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, stirring occasionally. (10-15 minutes.)
- Take off heat and strain through a strainer, saving the juices. You will be using the juice to top off cooked bread pudding.
- Let the cooked apples cool a bit.
- Bread Pudding:
- Preheat the oven to 375 and lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Spread stale bread in the baking dish evenly. Spread apples all over the bread evenly. Move it around a little to let some apples get between the bread.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, apple pie spice, and cinnamon.
- Pour egg mixture all over the bread and apples. Press down on bread lightly and put in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. You can check for doneness by touching in the center, if it feels dense and firm, the eggs are cooked.
- Pull bread pudding out of the oven and pour saved juices from cooking apples all over the bread pudding.
- Serve bread pudding warm and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.