Sweet Nutella Cookies are soft in the middle and crunchy on the outside. These chocolate cookies are loaded with Nutella spread in the dough and coated with crunchy nut pieces. They will make a very special treat for everyone who loves Nutella.
It’s officially cookie baking season. This is my family’s favorite time of the year because we always have cookies at home.
The house smell like freshly baked cookies almost every day and it’s truly the best scent to walk into. Every time my husband gets home from work, he sees the twinkling lights and smells the cookies and it definitely feels like holidays.
Christmas lights and cookies create the best holiday feel. So lets start baking some cookies.
And, if you’ve ever been caught with a jar of Nutella and a spoon, these cookies will be perfect you. They are loaded with Nutella spread and coated with crunchy hazelnut pieces.
These cookies are soft in the middle and crunchy on the outside. This awesome texture is easily achieved by slightly under-baking cookies.
Can I use different nuts?
If you can’t find hazelnuts or simply don’t want to use them, you can easily substitute almonds.
Add a little salty twist to the cookies and use lightly salted almonds. Place some whole almonds into a zip-lock bag and use a meat tenderizer to crush them. (Same can be done with whole hazelnuts.)
Can these cookies be made ahead?
Absolutely! These cookies actually need to be refrigerated for about 4 hours, so they can easily be refrigerated overnight. Just make sure to cover the cookie dough tightly with saran wrap.
Can these cookies be frozen?
Yes, these cookies can also be frozen.
This recipe makes about 24-26 cookies. It that is too many cookies, you can freeze half the dough.
You can freeze half the dough or all of the cookie dough. Prepare cookie dough per recipe but instead of refrigerating, roll cookie dough balls instead.
Place cookie dough balls on parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet and freeze them for about 2 hours.
Transfer frozen cookie dough balls into a freezer bag, remove as much air as you can, and seal the bag.
Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
To bake frozen cookies, you do not need to thaw them. Just place them about 3 inches apart on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake as directed. Remember to add a couple extra minutes to bake time since cookies will be frozen.
Some more cookies to try:
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
(Cookie dough needs to be refrigerated before baking.)
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Nutella spread room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter in an electric mixer on medium speed for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in sugar and beat butter and sugar for a couple more minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Beat in Nutella and vanilla extract. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add flour mixture on stir it in on low speed until just combined.
- Cover cookie dough tightly with saran wrap and refrigerate for about 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use cookie scoop to form cookie dough balls. (#30, #40, or #50 cookie scoop can be used. Just add or take away a minute or so of bake time for bigger or smaller cookie scoop.) I use #40 scoop and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Scoop cookie dough and roll a ball quickly. Roll cookie balls in crushed hazelnuts and place them on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.