Delicious holiday Thumbprint Cookies made with Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses. These little shortbread cookies are soft, buttery, and have a little peppermint bonus in the middle. These cookies are little drops of heaven while still warm and chocolate is still gooey.
Original Thumbprint Cookies made with jam in the center and they are a classic Christmas cookie. These cookies originated in Sweden but quickly became holiday staples here, in US.
When making classic thumbprint cookies, you would make a small dip or a well in the cookie dough, fill the well with some jam, and bake them. These cookies are soft, buttery, and just heavenly with a little touch of sweet jam.
Every year, I make a holiday version of thumbprint cookies and fill them with candy cane Hershey’s kisses. I add a small amount of peppermint extract to the cookie batter to compliment the kisses.
They are great, easy peppermint cookies for the season.
Tips for making thumbprint cookies with kisses:
Don’t get scared that the dough looks very thick, it’s supposed to. It’s shortbread-like cookie dough, so it is firm. If the dough it not firm enough, it will spread and you won’t get the perfect round cookie balls.
Don’t make a well when making these cookies, just roll a cookie dough ball and bake it.
Gently press the Candy Cake Kiss into the center of the baked cookie as soon as you take them out of the oven, while they’re still hot.
Transfer the cookies onto a wire rack to cool.
This cookie dough can be used in other thumbprint cookies, just take out the peppermint extract from the recipe.
Some more cookie recipes to enjoy:
Maple Pecan Cream Cheese Cookies
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes, subscribe to e-mail or follow me through my social media channels!
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Thumbprint Cookies with Peppermint Kisses
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks from large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 20-22 candy cane Hershey's kisses (more if you want to decorate them)
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat butter on medium-high speed for about a minute. Pour in sugar and beat butter and sugar for a couple more minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add peppermint and vanilla extracts and salt.
- Turn down the mixer to stir and add flour. Stir it in until combined. You may need to use rubber spatula at the end.
- Use #40 or #50 cookie scoop to scoop out even amounts of cookie dough. Roll cookie dough into balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet 1 or 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Gently press in a candy cane kiss in the center of each cookie immediately after you take the cookies out of the oven. Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- To make decorative "snow," simply grate candy cane kisses on a fine cheese grater over cookies.
Cheryl Sotelo says
Kisses melt as soon as you put them in the middle of the cookie why?
Hi Cheryl, I would let the cookies cool slightly so that they are still soft but not hot.
You can and I would cook them just a minute or 2 longer.
Can you freeze the cookie balls before baking them! Is the time and temp the same? Thank you.
How much salt am I supposed to add?
Hi, Amy, you add a pinch of salt.