Comforting and delicious hash brown breakfast casserole that is perfect for a weekend and holiday brunch. This cheesy breakfast casserole is made with broccoli and onions that are sauteed first and then, mixed with hash brown and extra cheese. Really, you can’t make it too cheesy, so add as much or as little cheese as you’d like.
HASH BROWN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Best part of the weekend is to be able to sleep in and have a lazy morning with the family. What makes it even better is having a casserole in the refrigerator that is ready to be baked. It’s also great when you’re expecting a crowd for a holiday brunch. You can prepare everything from the night before and simply bake in the morning.
Keeping the casserole overnight also helps the ingredients come together and incorporate all these delicious flavors throughout. It’s not necessary to prepare it the night before but it certainly has its benefits.
This flavor combination of broccoli and cheese is a classic that you know your family and guests will love. Parents will be happy that kids are eating broccoli and kids will be happy with cheesy potatoes and egg mixture. Have some fun with cheeses as well. Use flavorful cheeses that are sharp or smokey and that will make your casserole even tastier.
Feel free to add some meat to this breakfast casserole too. Bacon, ham, chicken, turkey, and sausage all will be great meats to add. Even leftover meats from a holiday dinner would be perfect.
HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Fist, you’ll need to saute onions and broccoli. I like to get the onions nice and deep golden brown for more flavor, so start cooking onions first. When onions start to golden, add broccoli to saute it lightly. Let the vegetables cool slightly before adding to the casserole dish.
Grease the casserole dish and add thawed hash browns to it. Mix sauteed broccoli and onion with hash browns and some shredded cheddar. Make sure it’s mixed evenly throughout.
In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, milk, and seasoning together until smooth and pour that mixture evenly over the hash brown mixture. Very gently shake the pan to make sure that egg mixture is spread evenly. Bake the casserole at 350° for about 45 minutes. Add remaining cheese all over the top of the casserole and bake for another 5-7 minutes. Let it cool for about 15 minutes before cutting.
How to Store
Store leftover casserole in the refrigerator, covered tightly with plastic wrap or a tight fitting lid. Properly stored, breakfast casserole will last 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat individual slices, use a microwave. Make sure to use a microwave safe plate and cover the plate with a microwave safe lid. If reheating it all at the same time, you can use an oven. Preheat it to 350°, cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep the top of drying out and reheat for 15-20 minutes.
WHAT MEAT CAN I ADD?
It’s very easy to add meats to this casserole, just make sure that the meat is cooked first and chop into small pieces. Try adding:
Chicken (or rotisserie chicken)
Turkey (roasted or deli)
CAN I FREEZE THIS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE?
Yes, you can easily freeze the casserole before baking. Use a 9×13 aluminum pan if you plan to freeze it. Follow the recipe instructions to prepare the casserole through step 5, wrap the pan tightly in plastic wrap, and then in aluminum foil. Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrost in the refrigerator completely before baking. It will take 8- 12 hours to defrost.
Bake per the recipe instructions one the casserole is completely defrosted.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Broccoli Cheese Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 3/4 lb broccoli
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 30 oz hash browns shredded, thawed
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese to mix in
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese to top
- 8 extra large eggs (or 10 smaller eggs)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley (or 2 tbsp fresh parsley)
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat a medium pan over medium heat and add canola oil. Saute diced onions until it starts to golden and then, add broccoli. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Saute for a few minutes, until broccoli starts to soften. Take off heat and let the vegetables cool slightly before adding to the casserole dish.
- Grease the casserole dish and add thawed hash browns to it. Mix sauteed broccoli and onion with hash browns and 8 oz of shredded cheddar. Make sure it’s mixed evenly throughout.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parsley together until smooth and pour that mixture evenly over the hash brown mixture.
- Very gently shake the pan to make sure that egg mixture is spread evenly.
- NOTE: you can cover the pan at this point and place it in the refrigerator to bake later or the next day. Do not prepare more than a day ahead. You can also bake right away.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake the casserole for about 45 minutes.
- Add remaining cheese all over the top of the casserole and bake for another 5-7 minutes. Let it cool for about 15 minutes before cutting.