Two recipes in one! Make some delicious candied lemon peels and lemon simple syrup at the same time. You can snack on the lemon peels or use it to decorate cakes. Possibilities for lemon simple syrup are also endless. Use it in your favorite cocktails and drinks!
I love making these candied peels and I’ve also made them in orange and lime. Many times, they don’t make it onto the dessert because they are to tasty, I just nibble on them all day.
This recipe is awesome because it’s two recipes in one. While making these candied peels, you are also making infused simple syrup. This syrup should definitely be saved and used in tea, iced tea, cocktails and even pancakes. I used it in pancakes this morning and it was delicious!
Candied Lemon Slices
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tbs extra fine sugar for coating
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skin off the lemon, trying not to get the white part. Slice the peels into thinner strips.
- Add the peels into the small pot and cover it with water. Bring it to boil and boil for about 30 second. Drain the peels and rinse with cold water. Repeat two more times.
- Combine 1 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar in a small pot. Heat up on medium heat and stir until the sugar is melted. Add the peels and bring the water to boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for about an hour.
- Drain off the lemon simple syrup into a container and save it. Toss the peels in fine sugar and lay them out to dry.