The most delicious asparagus recipe ever. It’s creamy, it’s cheesy, it’s easy and it’s full of herbs. So delicious, you will fall madly in love with this creamy baked asparagus.
Any other crazy asparagus fans out there? If you are one, you will LOVE this little treat. I’m hooked, I’m a goner, I’m all about this creamy, cheesy, filled-with-herbs goodness.
I love asparagus and I normally make it my favorite way, roasted with some salt, pepper, garlic, and a squeeze of lemon juice. It’s worked for me as a simple side (and sometimes the whole dinner) for a long time. Yes, once in a while I’ve tried new ways of making it, like wrapping it in prosciutto or bacon, but still went back to the good old roasted with some garlic and lemon way.
There is something about those crispy tips that is so addicting.
Well, plain seasoned roasted asparagus, step aside and make way for this cheesy awesomeness. This creamy asparagus is made with Italian herb seasoning and two kinds of cheese. It’s pure heaven and your dinner is not complete without it!
Don’t be afraid to add a little extra mozzarella cheese on top if that’s what your heart desires!
- Asparagus – Try to use asparagus that’s not very thick. This recipe works best with asparagus that has small/medium thickness.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – For the thickest, creamiest consistency, do NOT substitute the heavy cream with any other dairy product.
- Seasonings – Italian seasoning, a pinch of salt, and some freshly cracked black pepper create the best flavor palate for the creamy sauce. You’ll love the way the herbs are showcased!
- Asiago Cheese – This will need to be freshly grated for the best flavor and consistency. Check with your local deli and see if they sell it already freshly grated if you don’t feel like doing it yourself, as most delis offer this for you.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Shredded mozzarella cheese is the metaphorical cherry on top of this sundae! It’s so gooey, warm, and is the best topping for this creamy veggie side dish. Add a little extra if you really love it!
This quick and easy recipe is pretty foolproof! Even the most novice of home cooks will be able to bake this creamy asparagus dish with ease.
First things first! Preheat the oven to 400°F and prepare a baking pan with nonstick spray.
Rinse the asparagus with cool water and pat them dry. Trim off the white ends if there are any. Then, place the prepared asparagus in your baking dish and spread the stalks into an even layer.
Make the cream mixture.
Mix together the heavy cream, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and asiago cheese.
Assemble and bake.
Pour the creamy mixture all over the asparagus in the baking dish. Spread the mozzarella on top in an even layer.
Bake for 18-20 minutes depending on how thick the asparagus is.
Storing and Reheating:
You can store your leftover creamy asparagus in an airtight food storage container or right in the baking dish you cooked it in. Just make sure to cover the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap. Properly stored, leftovers should be food in the fridge for about 2 days.
To reheat your leftovers, you can use your microwave. Reheat the asparagus in increments of about 30 seconds until heated through. You want to be careful not to scold the cream by overheating it.
Frequently Asked Questions:
You can definitely double the recipe and increase the amount for asparagus and for the creamy sauce. I would recommend using a larger baking dish with tall sides so the asparagus is more spread out and not clustered. This will help cook it more evenly.
Yes, you can definitely try other vegetables! Some you can easily substitute but others I would recommend blanching first. Brussels sprouts you can cook from raw or sear it first (check out our Creamy Brussels recipe).
When using green beans, broccoli, and cauliflower, I would recommend blanching them first. (Check out the Green Bean Casserole Recipe for blanching instructions. You can check our Broccoli Casserole and Cauliflower Casserole for those instructions as well).
Creamy Italian Asparagus
- 1 lb asparagus 1 bunch asparagus, small/medium thickness
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly grease a 1.5-2 quart baking pan. (8×8 baking pan should work too.)
- Wash and dry the asparagus stalks. Trim off the white ends, if any. Place asparagus into the baking dish and spread them evenly.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together heavy cream, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and grated Asiago cheese.
- Pour heavy cream mixture all over the asparagus.
- Spread mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. (This is a good time for small to medium thickness of asparagus.)
Hands down my favorite asparagus recipe. I’m a vegetarian and an avid gardener, so love to serve it over new potatoes.
Aw thanks, Kate!
Karen Payne says
Delicious. Will definitely make again. I might try this with Brussels spouts next time. I always look for different recipes for asparagus. Thank you
Oh, that is a good idea! I bet it would be fantastic with brussels sprouts!