This lasagna is absolutely amazing! It’s made with spicy Italian sausage, cooked with onions and peppers, and a nice mixture of cheeses. Family comfort dinner at it’s tastiest.
Comfort food is the best! That’s the truth and you must agree. Even if you don’t agree right now, you will jump up and down while screaming “you were so right” after trying this awesome sausage lasagna.
I’ve had a craving for lasagna for a few weeks but I didn’t feel like having a classic one. So to help me make up my mind, hubs suggested using Italian sausage. Walking around the store, gathering the ingredients, and it all started falling into place. Spicy Italian sausage, onions and peppers, pepper jack cheese and some cayenne to add an extra little kick. Beautiful!
So next time you are looking for the perfect, comforting weekend dinner, be sure to save this recipe and make it for everyone to enjoy! And trust me, everyone will love it.
Italian Sausage Lasagna
- 2 lb ground spicy Italian Sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 1 large green pepper sliced
- 12 oz oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 lb marinara sauce
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 8 oz shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp minced Italian parsley
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 8 oz shredded Italian cheese mix
- Preheat oven to 425 and lightly grease a 9x13 casserole pan.
- Heat up some vegetable oil in a large cooking pan. Add onions and peppers to the pan and cook until starts to soften.
- Add ground sausage, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is done. Strain the sausage juice.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, shredded pepper jack cheese, egg, parsley, salt, cayenne and pressed garlic. Mix very well.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce over the bottom of the casserole pan. Layer lasagna noodles side by side. (You may have to break one to fit along the side.)
- Spread cooked (and strained) sausage with onion and pepper over the noodles. Spread a little more sauce over the top.
- Layer more lasagna noodles over the top, side by side. Spread ricotta mixture over the top, evenly. Spread another thin layer of sauce over ricotta mixture. Layer more lasagna noodles over the top and spread another layer of sauce over it.
- Spread Italian cheese mix over the top, evenly.
- Spray one side of the aluminum foil with cooking spray, the side that will be touching the cheese. This will prevent cheese from sticking to the foil.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Take off the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
World’s Best Lasagna from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Lasagna Dip from Closet Cooking
Taco Lasagna from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Chicken Parmesan Lasagna from Baked By Nature
Family Favorite Vegetarian Lasagna from Marla Meridith
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Recipes From Me:
Sausage Peppers and Onions Tortellini
Sausage & Onion Stuffed Peppers
Kirsten gallagher says
Made this … this is amazing !!!! 😋 everyone loves it !!
Made this today, it was really delicious! I usually just use beef but from now on it will be Italian sausage 🙂
Thank you, Janeth! I’m glad you enjoyed it!