Wonderful weekend sausage and gravy breakfast treat. Comforting, flaky puff pastry filled with homemade white gravy and breakfast sausage.
Delicious southern sausage and gravy is wrapped in flaky, warm pastry. It’s biscuits and gravy after a makeover. This breakfast is to die for. It’s comforting, filling and finger licking good. It would actually be perfect to have as a holiday breakfast because it will last you until the big holiday dinner.
I can’t believe that Christmas is already next week! Although, we are already discussing next Christmas. Might sound a little odd considering we still have a week until this year’s Christmas but we are especially excited about the following year’s holidays season. You see, we will be moving to a house of our own next month and we are beyond-the-mood-excited.
Since we live in a small apartment right now, all the family get-togethers have been happening at our parents’ houses. I’m pretty sure both of our moms are sick and tired of hosting family holidays. All the hassle and prep work is getting to them. So starting next holiday season, we decided to take the pressure off of them and host both big holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas, at our new house. You would think that I’d me nervous but I’m super excited. I’ve actually started planning what I would serve on my first Christmas dinner and I haven’t even decided what mom and I would be serving this year. (I gotta get on that.)
I am so making these sausage and gravy pastries for next year’s holidays. I’m sure that I will make them quite a few more times before then too. Anytime I will feel like having something warming and comforting, I will make these pastries because this is straight up comfort food.
Sausage and Gravy Pastry
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 3 raw breakfast sausage patties
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 17.3 oz sheets of puff pastry
- 1 egg white
- Coarse salt
- Heat up bacon grease in a small sauce pot over medium heat.
- Add diced onion. Break up breakfast sausage as much as possible and add it to the pot. Keep cooking sausage and onion, breaking up chunks of sausage, until it's nearly done.
- Sprinkle flour over sausage and mix until all evenly combined.
- Keep stirring and start pouring in milk. Add salt and pepper. Keep slowly stirring and cooking until thickened. Once the gravy is thick, take off heat and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and lightly spray it with cooking spray.
- Whisk egg white in a cup and set on the counter.
- Lay out each pastry sheet on the counter. Very gently stretch it just a little bit to the sides to form a rectangle instead of the square it starts as. You only want to stretch about two inches. Cut each stretched sheet in half.
- Divide sausage and gravy among the four pastry sheets, in the center, leaving about an inch and a half on the sides and 2 inches at the top and bottom.
- Fold top and bottom. Dip your fingers in egg white and run your fingers along the edges. This will help seal the pastry.
- Bring sides together and press to seal.
- Lay filled pastry on the prepared baking sheet seam down and repeat with remaining pastries.
- Brush each pastry with egg white.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Raspberry Cream Cheese Danish from Lovely Little Kitchen
Orange Walnut Braid from Baking A Moment
Bacon and Egg Breakfast Patries from Daily Dish Recipes
Australian Sausage Rolls from Favorite Family Recipes
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or any other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Delicious Recipes From Me: