Looking for a delicious, gooey, cheesy casserole dish? Look no further because this casserole has chicken and sausage, it had tasty tortellini pasta and mixed with pasta sauce and four kinds of cheese.
I have been in a full party planning mode. There are only a couple of weeks left until little man’s party and I didn’t even realize how fast time has gone. Seems like it was only a couple of days ago when we made his countdown calendar that showed more than a month until the party. It’s so close now, we’re getting REALLY excited.
I am being a little too excited maybe. The other day, I sat down to make the party menu and before I knew it, I had two pages of food ideas. His party theme is Mario this year and I decided to make Italian themed food. Well, you know me, I love making and eating Italian food. So now, my task is to cut the menu to just a few items. That will be tough.
Although, some things on the menu really weren’t good for the party, like a casserole. What would a casserole be doing at a children’s party? I do always have food for adults and for kids but still, a casserole? I must have been starting to get hungry from thinking about all that delicious Italian themed food and started thinking about dinner. And, that’s just what I made for dinner.
Chicken Parmesan Casserole is what I had written on the menu but for dinner, I wanted to change it up and make something new. My husband always makes fun of me, telling me that he doesn’t let himself fall in love with a dish that I made because he will probably never see it again.
I guess that’s a pitfall of being married to a food blogger, I always have to keep coming up with fresh ideas and hardly have time to remake the same recipes. Although, I would have to disagree a little. There are quite a few dishes that make their appearance over and over. I might make a couple of changes, but favorites will always be “coming to dinner” in one way or another.
This Chicken and Sausage Parmesan Casserole might be “dressed” a little differently, but it’s all the flavors we know well and love.
SOME MORE RECIPES TO TRY
Cheeseburger Casserole from Skinny Taste
Creamy Tuna Noodle Casserole from An Italian In My Kitchen
Dump and Bake Meatball Casserole from The Seasoned Mom
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Four Cheese Chicken and Sausage Parmesan Tortellini Casserole
- 12 oz chicken breast
- 10 oz ground Italian sausage mild or spicy
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 9 oz tortellini pasta
- About 18 oz pasta sauce three cheese
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 small Vidalia onion
- 3 lg garlic cloves
- 5-6 basil leaves
- Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- About 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese for top
- Cook tortellini al dente, drain and set aside into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut chicken into small chunks. Roll small balls out of ground Italian sausage.
- Heat up a large cooking pan over medium heat and add some vegetable oil.
- Cook chicken and sausage (seasoned with a little bit of salt) until just done and take it out into the bowl with tortellini. (Keep the juices from cooking meat in the pan, you will cook veggies in it.)
- Dice tomatoes and onion and add it to the cooking pan. Saute for a few minutes.
- Crush and chop garlic cloves and add it to the cooking pan. Mix and cook for about a minute.
- Add pasta sauce, minced basil leaves, brown sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir everything and bring to simmer. Take off heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a casserole dish. (1.5 to 2 quart size will work well.)
- Add grated Asiago, Parmesan, and Romano cheeses to the bowl with meat and tortellini. Mix well and add pasta sauce. Mix everything together.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the casserole dish.
- Top with Mozzarella cheese evenly and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Serve right away.