You will knock dinner right out of the park with these awesome, spicy shrimp tacos. Delicious spicy tacos made with juicy, crispy shrimp, red cabbage slaw, and creamy chipotle chili sauce.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
I love it when people come to visit me not just because I get to see them but also, because I get to feed them. My best friend actually surprised me with a visit this week and I was extra excited this time. Not only that I got to see my bestie, who I haven’t seen in a few months, I also got to make a recipe that’s been on my list for weeks.
I’ve been dying to make these crispy shrimp tacos but my husband hates seafood (crazy as he is) so I was waiting on a visit from family or friends to make these. The second my friend called me and told me that she as coming over, I told her to make sure not to eat because I’d be making spicy shrimp tacos.
I just love it that I don’t have to talk my friends into trying something I cooked. If they know I’m cooking, they are super eager to chow down without a single question. These tacos were no exception, they were a huge hit and the plate was empty in minutes! Crispy, spicy, and crunchy all combined in one delicious taco will sure be a hit with your family too.
Gluten free note:
Yes, you can make these tacos gluten free.
-I used corn taco tortillas, which are gluten free.
-When making the slaw, make sure to use distilled vinegar. Besides white vinegar, I like to use champagne or sherry vinegars too.
-When making crispy shrimp, substitute flour for a gluten free flour. The difference is barely noticeable because of the addition of cornmeal.
– Also, don’t forget to use fresh oil for frying, or oil where you did not fry anything containing gluten.
Chipotle Chili Crispy Shrimp Tacos
- 4 taco shells
- 2 cups finely sliced red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 tsp white granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- Fried Shrimp:
- ½ lb shrimp
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ to ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Creamy Chili Sauce:
- 5 oz plain yogurt
- 1 chili pepper in adobe sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- Thinly cut cabbage and shred carrots on a large grater. Mix cabbage, carrots, sugar, vinegar, mayo, sour cream, and salt until completely mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Creamy Chili Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in the blender. Pulse until all is blended and smooth. Taste to see if you need to add any more salt.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat frying oil to 350. Prepare a plate with a paper towel in it.
- Prepare two shallow bowls. In one bowl, mix buttermilk and salt. In another bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Wash shrimp and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Batter shrimp by dredging them in flour mixture first, then in buttermilk, and then again in flour mixture.
- Fry shrimp in batches (or all at the same time, depending on the size of the pot used for frying) for about 4 minutes, until they are golden brown. Take shrimp out with a metal slotted spoon onto the prepared paper towel.
- To prepare tacos:
- Add some slaw to each taco. Divide shrimp among the 4 tacos and generously drizzle everything with creamy chipotle chili sauce.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Seafood Recipes From Me: