I got something sweet and special for you today. I’m sharing my new Sweet Potato Muffins and they are sweet, warm and comforting.
Both, my hubby and the little man love sweet potatoes. I don’t use it enough and only have a couple of ways to prepare it. I usually just bake them and serve with some butter and cinnamon but I’m trying to find more inventive ways to use it.
I decided to try them in some muffins the other day and we were very happy with the results.
I usually make muffins for a quick breakfast or snack on the go. The more nutritious I can make them, the better. Sweet potatoes are chuck full of nutrients so I think of these muffins as very beneficial for my family… and another way I can trick them into eating veggies and vitamins.
Here are some facts about sweet potatoes:
** They are a great source of beta-carotene! Which is essentially Vitamin A and sweet potatoes are loaded with it.
** Great source of Vitamin C.
** Great source of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients and blood sugar-regulating nutrients.
** Also contains nutrients like Manganese, vitamin B6, tryptophan, potassium and fiber.
(Info Source: MayoClinic and Whole Foods)
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup of sour cream
- ¾ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of mashed, baked sweet potato
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1½ cups of flour
- 1 cup of diced pecans for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line the muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Mash the baked sweet potato as well as possible, breaking all the lumps.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, sour cream, vanilla and brown sugar. Whisk until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add mashed sweet potato and whisk until all incorporated.
- Sift in the remaining dry ingredients (except for pecans) and whisk until all evenly incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the cups in the muffin pan, filling them ¾ full.
- Optional: sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- I also dusted the muffins with a little bit of powder sugar, but it's a personal choice.
Knowing how beneficial sweet potatoes are to our health, I want to find more creative ways to use sweet potatoes!
Bloggers, please a link (or two, or three…) to your sweet potato recipes in the link up below! All my other readers, if you have an idea or a favorite way to eat sweet potatoes, leave me a comment!!
Thank you, all!