What makes homemade pizza awesome? That would be homemade dough! I’m sharing a recipe for a homemade pizza dough made with Parmesan and fresh basil.
Pizza is one of my husband’s favorite meals. I won’t lie, I love it too. Our favorite is New York style pizza but it’s pretty hard to find a really good take out, NY style pizza here. Hubby is so very picky about his pizza though, that I decided to try making it myself instead of spending $20 for something he wouldn’t love.
After I made my own pizza dough the first time, he really liked it. Of course, I don’t think that it was as good as a true NY pizza, but I came pretty darn close. Since then, I started experimenting with dough flavors as well. Parmesan is one of our favorite flavors for crust and his favorite cheese. No joke, he could put Parmesan on a shoe and eat it. My basil is also growing like a weed now, so I added some fresh basil. It turned out awesome!
Homemade Parmesan Basil Pizza Dough
- 1 cup of warm water not hot
- 1 packet of active dry yeast 1.4 oz
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 1/2 -3 cups of flour may need a little extra for dusting of surface
- 1/2 cup of dry Parmesan Cheese
- 10 basil leaves minced
- 1 tsp salt
- Little bit of olive oil to rub on the bowl
- Yellow cornmeal for baking
- Place the active dry yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add warm water, honey and olive oil. Stir well and let it bloom for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of flour, salt, Parmesan cheese and minced basil. Mix the dough with a wooden spoon at first and then use your bands until ingredients are combined. Add the other 1/2 cup of flour and knead the dough until combined.
- Lightly flour some counter surface and transfer your dough onto the floured surface (if dough is too sticky, you may need to add a little bit more flour (about 1/4 cup.)) Knead the dough until smooth. It will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Rub a clean bowl with some olive oil and place the dough in it. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and let it rise in a warm place (away from draft or AC is fine) until doubled in size, about 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- When ready, take out the dough and knead it for about a minute until smooth. Let the dough rest for about 20 minutes while you preheat your oven. (400 degrees)
- (If you are not baking it right away, cover it air- tight and refrigerate.)
- Roll out the dough and place it onto a pizza stone that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. (You can use any pizza baking sheet)
- Add toppings of your choice and bake for 20-25 minutes.