This Caprese Bread makes a wonderful snack or breakfast. It’s made with savory flavors of a classic Caprese salad and ready in about an hour. No-yeast, just moist, soft bread made with fresh basil, fresh mozzarella cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Savory quick breads are great for snacks or to serve with dinner. Try this Bacon and Cheese Quick bread in a sandwich or along side of your favorite dinner. If you prefer sweet quick breads, this Coconut Key Lime Bread will not disappoint.
I’ve been wanting to make a savory version of quick bread for so long now and finally got around to it. I’m not a fan of cooking with yeast so making a savory quick bread seemed like a great idea. Not that there is anything wrong with yeast, I just feel too lazy to spend hours making bread.
Spring is here and everyone is thinking about gardening, fresh herbs, and vegetables. Caprese salad is a perfect example of a beautiful spring and summer dish. It’s light and fresh tomatoes and basil are so good combines with Mozzarella cheese.
I like to bring that flavor combination into other dishes as well. Besites the classic Caprese salad, Caprese pizza and grilled cheese are some of my favorite ways to incorporate those flavors. Now, this bread is by far the best things I’ve made with Caprese flavors.
WHERE TO USE CAPRESE BREAD
If you don’t scarf it down all by itself, then this bread makes a nice snack or a side with your dinner.
This bread is also wonderful to use with sandwiches. Try making a BLT sandwich with this bread or an Italian sandwich with ham, salami, and pepperoni.
This is a little different, but you can slide the bread and cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. Toast it in the oven for a few minutes and add them to a salad. This bread makes wonderful croutons.
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Savory Caprese Bread
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 to 4 oz cubed fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes not packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tbsp grape-seed oil can use extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8x4 inch bread pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Add the basil, mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes to the four and mix until all incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Pour the liquids into the flour mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well combined. (The dough will be sticky.)
- Transfer the dough into the bread pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)
***Disclosure: I received compensation and product from Handi-foil for the purpose of the development of this recipe. All the opinions and photographs are my own!