What a perfect day to share something chocolaty! Death By Chocolate Cake Roll is a delightful, soft chocolate cake roll with silky chocolate cream filling mixed with some mini chocolate morsels mixed in there! To die for (wink, wink)!!!
I hope that your holidays were full of joy and laughter!
We had a nice Christmas with family. Every year we have dinner at my mom’s house, where mom and I cook lots of deliciousness. It turned out to be an Italian themed feast this year. Mom made a great garlic and herb roast pork and I made some side dishes and dessert. It was the first time that I made Ratatouille and I have got to share this great recipe with you soon.
Dessert definitely rocked this year and this is what I’m sharing today!
For a week before Christmas, I’ve been asking everyone what dessert I should make. I kept getting the same answer…cheesecake. (You can tell how well I listen to others, can’t you?!) Since I JUST made the Peppermint Cheesecake, I really didn’t feel like making another one while there is still half of that one in the fridge. No one had any other ideas for me so I decided to wing it.
I went with something chocolate, you can’t go wrong with chocolate. I wanted to make a cake but I didn’t think that I would have enough ingredients for frosting. (I was making this on Christmas Eve and not brave enough to face Target on the day before Christmas.) I gathered everything that I had on hand and whipped up this heavenly chocolate treat!
It turned out amazing! Soft chocolate cake filled with smooth, light and silky chocolate cream filling with some chocolate chip morsels added and covered in delicious Rodelle cocoa.
- Cake Roll:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Unsweetened baking cocoa for rolling the cake
- Powder sugar for sprinkle (optional)
- Chocolate Filling:
- 1 1/4 package of cream cheese, softened (adds to 10 oz)
- 6 oz of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups of powder sugar
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup of mini chocolate morsels
- Preheat the oven to 375 and Line 17x11x1 pan (or 15x10x1) with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil spray.
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes until thick and light yellow.
- Slowly beat in granulated sugar.
- Lower the speed to low and add water and vanilla extract.
- Still on low, slowly add flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, the baking powder and salt. Beat just until batter is smooth.
- Pour into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 7-8 minutes (12 to 15 minutes if using a smaller pan) and do a toothpick test. Run a spatula around edge of pan to loosen cake.
- Generously sprinkle a towel with cocoa. Turn the cake upside down onto the towel. Carefully remove the parchment paper. Trim off crusty edges of cake if necessary.
- While the cake is still hot, carefully roll cake with the towel from narrow end.
- Cool on cooling rack at least 30 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Lower the speed to low and slowly add powder sugar and cocoa powder. Mix until just combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, mix on medium until all smooth. Fold in the mini chocolate morsels.
- Unroll cake carefully. Carefully, spread the chocolate filling all over the cake.
- Carefully roll the cake back up and place the cake of the serving with seam down.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Chocolate Goodness!