Coconut Coffee Cake makes a great breakfast treat or grab it as a snack. Amazing soft sour cream coffee cake that is bursting with fresh coconut flavors throughout.
Coconut Coffee Cake
Here I go again, more and more coconut goodies!
I can’t stop and I won’t stop because I am totally crazy about anything coconut. I do hope that you share my love (or at the very least like) for coconut because I have many more coconut goodies planned.
Little man makes me get a fresh coconut from the store almost every week, not that I fight it or anything. Surprisingly though, it’s not because he wants to eat the coconut, but because he gets a kick out of watching me open it. He still hasn’t braved trying fresh coconut. But I am all about fresh coconut, coconut milk, and making my own coconut flakes.
The other day, hubs and I were enjoying some nice International Delight Iced Coffee, which I found in a “light mocha” version (yay), on our nice new balcony but something was missing. Something sweet and fresh out of the oven.
So he suggested that I make a coffee cake. That was a fantastic idea because I had some delicious fresh coconut flakes burning a hole in my fridge. And that is exactly what I did … the next day. I was not about to jump up and go baking when I actually had a few minutes to sit down with a glass of iced coffee and relax.
I don’t get much free time in my life and while I do enjoy staying busy, I also enjoy those rare moment when I can just put my feet up and do nothing. That usually involves a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine if it’s in the evening) and a baked treat.
When it is nice outside, and I have a nice new balcony furniture to sink into, I like to grab my ID iced coffee and enjoy the view…of trees… but it’s still nice!
I made this awesome coconut coffee cake the very next day, to go with my coffee break. It was SO good!
Like I already mentioned, I used fresh coconut flakes, that means they are unsweetened and contain a little more oil in them. That is not a problem if you don’t have any fresh coconut flakes, just use unsweetened coconut flakes from the store. If you can’t find any, use sweetened ones and cut a couple of tablespoons of sugar out of the recipe.
If you want to learn how to easily open a coconut and make coconut flakes, you can read this post.
Coconut Coffee Cake
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x9 baking dish.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add vanilla and sour cream. Beat until well combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat on low speed until just mixed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, and coconut. Fold until incorporated throughout.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Crumble: In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar, and flour. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated evenly.Pour in melted butter, and carefully fold it in with a large fork. You will want to be careful so you don't overmix. Streusel should look like large crumbs and not paste. Add coconut flakes and carefully fold them in.
- Sprinkle crumble topping over batter evenly.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes and do a toothpick test in the center to make sure it's done. Cool to room temperature before cutting.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
“This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine. #IDelight“