Beautiful cupcakes made with natural red and blue marble frosting. These cupcakes are stuffed with an easy strawberry and blueberry filling and topped with a beautiful strawberry and blueberry swirled cream cheese frosting.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
I am IN LOVE this this gorgeous frosting!
Swirling frosting is always so appealing to the eye and kids always want to dive right in because it reminds them of soft serve ice cream. My Marble Cupcakes are very popular at parties and special occasions because they are so pretty and delicious. Having two flavors in one is always a big hit.
These blueberry and strawberry filled cupcakes will be very popular for July 4th celebration. Fresh berry flavors are perfect for summer desserts and you get the traditional “red, white and blue” colors in one cupcake. Of course, the cupcakes are not exactly white but you can make them whiter by using white cake batter instead of yellow cake.
For these cupcakes, you can make it a little easier on yourself and use a cake mix. I used vanilla cake mix to compliment the flavors of the berries.
If you want to make homemade cupcakes, use my Blueberry Key Lime Cupcake recipe without adding key lime zest. Those cupcakes always come out fluffy, moist, and soft. They have not failed me yet.
**Whether you will be using homemade cupcakes or a cake mix, note that this frosting recipe will frost about 18 cupcakes, depending on how generous or stingy you are with the frosting.**
Berry Filled Cupcakes with Strawberry and Blueberry Marble Frosting
- 1 box of white cake mix
- + ingredients listed in instruction on the box
- Blueberry filling:
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Strawberry Filling:
- 1 1/4 cups chopped strawberries
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 8 oz packs of cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- *You will add some blueberry and some strawberry filling from above
- *You can make berry fillings ahead of time or right before starting the cupcakes. If making berries ahead of time, place the fillings in separate jars with a lid and keep in the fridge until ready to use.*
- In a small sauce pot, over medium heat, combine blueberries, lemon juice, and sugar. Cover and bring to simmer. Take off the lid and let the berries simmer for 7-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Follow the same process for strawberries. In a small sauce pot, over medium heat, combine strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar. Cover and bring to simmer. Take off the lid and let the berries simmer for 7-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Puree strawberries and blueberries (separately). Transfer into two separate small jars and set aside until ready to use.
- Follow package instruction to prepare the cupcakes.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Beat butter and cream cheese together, on medium-high speed, until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and beat in powder sugar and vanilla.
- Turn up the speed back to medium-high and beat for a couple more minutes, until the frosting is light, smooth and fluffy.
- Take out half the frosting.
- Whisk in 1 1/2 Tbsp of blueberry filling to one half and 1 1/2 Tbsp of strawberry filling to another half.
- Fill two separate piping bags with blueberry and strawberry frosting. Cut off tips about ¼ inch wide and add them, side by side into one piping bag, fitted with a frosting tip. Tie a rubber band on the end of the piping bags to keep the frosting in. (You may need to refill the piping bags a couple of times.)
- Finishing cupcakes:
- Using a small cookie dough scoop (or a melon baller), scoop out some of the cupcake on top and then, fill each cupcake hole with a little over a teaspoon of strawberry or blueberry filling.
- Frost each cupcake with prepared blueberry/strawberry frosting.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!