Delicious Carne Asada Tacos made with sauteed veggies and fresh avocado topping. Juicy flank steak marinated and seared to perfection, it’s topped with onions and poblano peppers sauteed in steak marinade and fresh tomato avocado topping.
What is your favorite way to eat a steak?
Tricky question, right? There is not ONE good way to eat the steak, just like there is no one cut of steak that is the best. Although everyone has their favorites, there are many steak cuts and ways to prepare the steak for everyone to enjoy.
I like to ask people what their favorite cuts are but I don’t think I have one of my own. There are so many good cuts of steak, it’s hard to discriminate among them. There is one thing I can say for certain though, if I’m eating a nice steak on it’s own, I let the steak speak for itself and just season it with some salt and pepper. But when it comes to tacos, a beautifully flavorful marinade is the best way to dress the steak.
Flavor packed, juicy, seared flank steak is really the best thing about these Carne Asada tacos. Cooked poblanos and onions come as a perfect compliment to the steak because they are made with the same marinade. A touch of fresh tomato and avocado topping adds another layer of flavor and freshness to the whole taco.
You can serve these tacos with either corn tortillas or flour tortillas. Personally, I tried these tacos with gluten free tortillas and it was not a winner. I was hoping to find soft corn tacos that don’t have flour added to them but I had no such luck. So, if anyone knows of a brand or a store that sells soft corn tortillas that are gluten free, please DO share! (The gluten free ancient grain tortillas that I found taste like cardboard. I don’t recommend them.)
Carne Asada Tacos
- 1 lb flank steak
- Juice from 1 large orange
- Juice from 1 large lime
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp minced cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder more if you want spicier marinade
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1/3 cup marinade from above
- Salt to taste
- Avocado topping:
- 1 large avocado
- 1 to mato
- 2 Tbsp minced cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Pinch of chili powder
- Juice orange and lime into a wide, shallow bowl big enough to fit the steak. Press in garlic and mix in the rest of ingredients for marinade. Nestle the steak into the marinade, cover and let it marinade for a few hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat a cooking pan over medium heat. Make sure the pan in hot before adding the steak so you get a nice sear of the outside.
- Steak: Cook the steak until the steak reaches desired temperature, adding a couple of tablespoons of marinade half way through. Take the steak out onto a cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before cutting. Cut steak thinly across the grain.
- Veggies: In another pan, preheat a little bit of vegetable oil. Add thinly sliced onion and poblano peppers. Season with salt and saute until veggies start to get golden. Add 1/3 cup of steak marinade, mix and cook veggies until completely done.
- Avocado topping: Seed and dice the tomato. Peel, seed and dice avocado. Combine diced tomato, avocado, and remaining ingredients for the topping. Gently mix until all incorporated.
- You can use flour or corn tortillas for the tacos.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or any other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Some More Recipes From Me: