Let me tell you about this cake…it is finger-licking-good! This amazing cake is inspired by Raffaello candy. A soft coconut cake topped with white chocolate/coconut smooth cream and topped with whipped cream, coconut and almonds!
Oh please tell me that you know what a Raffaello candy is?!! I brought a few slices of this cake to school with me and when I told them that the cake was inspired by Raffaello, they all looked at me like I speaking another language. Neither my friends nor hubs have ever heard of this candy. So weird!
It’s been my favorite candy since I was a kid. In fact, I remember that I got a box of them on my birthday when I was turning six or seven. I got it in the morning, before the party, from my grandparents. While everyone was cooking and preparing for the party, I was missing. I heard them look for me but I was not coming out… I was sitting under the big dining room table, working my way through the box. By the time they actually found me…the box was gone. It was a happy birthday indeed!!
Anyway, whether you’ve heard of the candy or not, this is a cake that will make your taste buds sing a happy tune! This is a homemade, soft coconut white cake. It is topped with smooth white chocolate and coconut cream and freshly made whipped cream. To make it extra special, it is also topped with sweet coconut flakes and crunchy almonds. This Raffaello cake is a pleasure for your senses!
- ½ cup of butter, softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups of flour
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- ⅓ cup of buttermilk
- 1½ cups of white chocolate
- ¾ cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- Whipped cream:
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups of coconut flakes
- 1 cup of sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a bowl, beat butter for about thirty seconds and add sugar. Beat for about a minute, until light.
- Add egg whites one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together.
- Lower the mixer speed to low.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and coconut milk then buttermilk in two parts, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Transfer the batter into the baking sheet, spread evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine butter, white chocolate, condensed milk, vanilla extract and coconut flakes in a small sauce pot, over medium heat. Whisk with a silicone covered whisk while heating though, until the chocolate melts and the mixture is nice and smooth. Take off the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Whipped Cream: Add the cold heavy whipping cream in the cold mixing bowl. Starting at low speed, start whisking, gradually raise to speed to high. Slowly pour in the sugar. Beat until stiff peaks appear (don't walk away far). Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Poke holes all over the cake.
- Pour the white chocolate mixture over the cake.
- Make sure that the cake is completely cooled before you cover it in whipped cream.
- After the cake is covered in the whipped cream, spread the coconut in the even layer and sprinkle the almonds.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Amazing Cakes: