Perfect combination of chocolate and vanilla in one cupcake! With these Marble Cupcakes with Marble Cream Cheese Frosting, you will best of both in every bite!
Do you ever have a debate at your house about which is better, chocolate or vanilla?
To my little man, chocolate is best all around. Everything has to be chocolate. Chocolate is just the best thing in the world to him and nothing else compares. If it has chocolate in it, he will eat it. (Hmm, I should spread some chocolate on broccoli and steak and I’m sure he’d eat it.)
To me, I can be in a mood for either vanilla or chocolate and I like to try just about any other flavor. Really, I just don’t discriminate between cupcakes. How can you? They are cupcakes! (Although, if there is licorice anywhere near them, that’s the one flavor I would have to decline.)
I guess trying new things comes with age though. I didn’t even start willingly eating veggies until I was a teenager. Kids are so picky and toddlers have their own rules altogether. For mine it’s “if it has chocolate, I will eat it!”
So if you are a person who likes vanilla and chocolate cupcakes alike, these marble ones will be the best for you! (And if you have a toddler like mine, he will eat the chocolate side first.)
They might seem to be a little more complicated than a regular cupcake and they are, but not by much. Yes, you will end up using several piping bags but trust me, it’s for your own sanity! If you try to use two spoons and scoop them at the same time, side by side, it will take forever and it’s very tedious. So do take out a few extra piping bags and use them!
Did you know that you could save the recipes to your personal recipe box with the Once you have your favorite recipes in your Recipe Box create a Meal Plan with them and the ingredients will automatically be added to a Grocery List! Don’t forget to check deals and coupons!
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- ⅓ cup unseweet cocoa powder
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1½ cup powder sugar
- ½ cup of butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together and set aside.
- Make sure your other ingredients are ready.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites for a few seconds and slowly start pouring in sugar. Beat for 3-4 minutes, until white and fluffy.
- Start pouring in oil slowly as the eggs are still beating.
- Add vanilla and lower the speed to low.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and buttermilk in two parts, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Take out half the batter.
- Mix in cocoa powder and additional ¼ cut buttermilk to the remaining batter in the mixer until just combines. Make sure to scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and mix until all combined.
- To make things easier on you, add batter to two separate piping bags and fill cupcake liners ¾ full, using both bags at the same time, with chocolate and vanilla batter being side by side.
- Once all the cupcakes are filled, take a toothpick and swirl the batter a couple of times, to form marble texture.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting!
- Beat butter and cream cheese together, on medium-high speed, until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and beat in powder sugar and vanilla.
- Turn up the speed back to medium-high and beat for about 3-4 minutes, until the frosting is light, smooth and fluffy.
- Take out half the frosting.
- On low speed, drizzle in melted chocolate and mix well, make sure to scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and mix until all even.
- Fill two separate piping bags with vanilla and chocolate frosting (cut off tips about ¼ inch wide) and add them, side by side into one piping bag, fitted with a frosting tip.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!!
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes from My Baking Addiction
Snickers Cupcakes from Live Love & Sugar
Twix Cupcakes from Deliciously Sprinkled
White Chocolate Mocha Frappucchino Cupcakes from Inside BruCrew Life
Want A Few More Cupcakes to Indulge?
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!