These little Bacon Gruyère Pizza Pinwheels are perfection. Great warm appetizer made with whole grain pizza dough, crispy bacon, Gruyere cheese, tomato and avocado. So easy and so delicious.
These pizza pinwheels…oh-my-gawd! Let’s just say it’s too embarrassing to admit how many I ate. They are so good, I had some as lunch and then as dinner.
Flavor combination in this easy appetizer is wonderful. You can never go wrong with bacon and I chose smoked Gruyere cheese because I’m a sucker for smoked cheeses. You can use regular Gruyere but I do recommend smoked one for extra flavor. Extra creaminess is added by fresh avocado and some tomato to top it all off. Finally, I wrapped it all together in a pre-made Pillsbury pizza dough. I chose to use whole grain artisan dough but you can use classic pizza dough if you wish.
Very simple ingredients and very easy to put together but final result will be the hit of any party.
Bacon Gruyère Pizza Pinwheels
- 1 13.8 oz pizza crust I used Pillsbury artisan
- 6-7 strips of crispy bacon
- 4 oz smoked Gruyere cheese grated (regular Gruyere can be used too)
- 2 small Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a large baking sheet.
- Dice bacon and set aside.
- Cut tomatoes in half and take out the seeds with your hands. Dice tomatoes and avocado and gently mix with some salt in a small bowl.
- Spread out pizza crust into a large rectangle, about 12 inches long and 6 inches wide. Sprinkle some salt on the crust.
- Spread grated cheese over the crust, leaving about 1/2 inch uncovered on one of the long sides.
- Spread bacon and tomato/avocado mixture evenly over cheese, again leaving that 1/2 inch uncovered.
- Roll up pizza crust starting at the fully covered, long end. Gently press the uncovered end to seal the roll.
- Cut the long roll into 12 1-inch pinwheels. Place pinwheels on a baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Chicken Cordon Bleu Crescent Rolls from Mom on Time Out
Meatball Pretzel Rolls from The Gunny Sack
Crock Pot Sweet Baby Smokies from Julie’s Eats and Treats
Smucker’s Savory Glazed Meatballs from Snack Fixation
Raspberry Chipotle Chicken Wings from Busy-At-Home
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!