These Bacon Wrapped BBQ Stuffed Chicken Breasts features stuffed chicken with a mixture of onions sauteed with bacon and BBQ sauce and outside, the chicken is slathered with more BBQ sauce and wrapped in bacon. There are only 4 ingredients in this simple chicken dinner but it will knock your socks off!
Stuffed Chicken Breasts
How can two simple words like “BBQ” and “Bacon” make people so happy?
I can’t explain it but indeed it does. These words make my boys very happy since they are suckers for BBQ sauce and of course, bacon.
When I told them I was making BBQ chicken in the oven, they immediately started drooling. Then I go and stuff chicken with bbq bacon caramelized onions and wrap those babies in bacon.
There are only four simple ingredients here but that is all you need to create an amazing dinner.
Tips for making this bacon BBQ chicken:
When choosing bacon, get thick cut or regular. Don’t get center cut because it’s too short to wrap the chicken.
Use an oven safe cooking pan that can do from stove top to the hot oven. This chicken is simply made in the oven but first, it’s seared on stove top.
There are two ways to stuff chicken and you can choose your favorite. One way is to butterfly the chicken, place the stuffing inside, and close the chicken.
Another way, is to carefully slide the knife (hold it sideways with blade facing away from you) at the top (larger part) of the chicken breast into the center and cut a pocket in the middle. Don’t cut all the way through.
Most of the time, when making stuffed chicken breast, I use toothpicks to hold the chicken together. That helps keep the filling in.
When wrapping the chicken in bacon, toothpicks are not necessary since bacon helps keep the chicken closed. But, you can still add toothpick if you wish.
At the end of baking the chicken, if you wish for a crispier or darker looking top, turn on the broiler to low and make sure the chicken is not too close to it. Watch it so it doesn’t get burned.
Sides that will go well with this bacon wrapped chicken:
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes, subscribe to e-mail or follow me through my social media channels!
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
BBQ Bacon Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz bacon thick cut or regular
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 1/4 cup KC Masterpiece original BBQ sauce for onions
- 1/2 cup KC Masterpiece original BBQ sauce to rub chicken
- Set aside about 8 slices of bacon to wrap the chicken.
- Slice onion thinly and chop remaining bacon into small pieces.
- Preheat a cooking pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon pieces and cook, stirring often until browns. Lower the heat to medium.
- Add onions and cook until onions are fully cooked.
- Add 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce, stir, and cook for just a couple more minutes. Take off heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 and preheat a cast iron skillet (or a cooking pan that is oven safe) on stove-top, over medium-high heat. Make sure that your skillet is well seasoned and lightly greased. (If using an oven-safe cooking pan, you’ll want to use a couple of tablespoons of oil to grease the pan.)
- Lay the chicken breast flat on the cutting board. Carefully, slide the knife (hold it sideways with blade facing away from you) at the top (larger part) of the chicken breast in the center and cut a pocket in the middle. DO NOT slice all the way through the bottom or the sides of the chicken breast. Your ultimate goal is to create a pocket inside the breast with opening at the top. Repeat with all four breasts.
- Divide the onion filling among all four chicken breasts.
- Rub each chicken breast with some BBQ sauce and salt each stuffed chicken breast.
- Wrap each chicken breast with two slices of bacon, tucking the ends under one of the bacon rings.
- Carefully place each chicken breast in the hot skillet. Sear chicken for about 3 minutes on each side. Your goal is to sear the bacon, not to cook the chicken all the way. (Carefully pour off most of the bacon grease.)
- Transfer the skillet into pre-heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- (Judge cooking time according to the size of the biggest thicken breast.)
Super easy to make and tastes amazing, I didn’t change a thing, Thank you for my new go to dinner add a small salad and your good to go.