If you are looking for an easy cake recipe, look no further! Black Forest Cake features a rich, chocolate cake frosted with whipped cream frosting and topped with chocolate shavings and cherries. This cake is not only delicious, it’s also easy.
It was my in law’s 43rd anniversary last week and we had the hardest time coming up with something to get for them. It’s not easy to get a gift for someone who has everything already. Finally, hubby suggested that I bake them a cake. It was a perfect idea because they love cake and they can share a special dessert all week.
I mentioned above that it’s an easy cake. Don’t be scared by all the ingredients and steps, it really is an easy cake! All you have to do is whisk the ingredients together, bake, frost and cover in chocolate flakes. That’s it and you get a soft, moist cherry chocolate cake! The flavor is also amazing, it really tastes like chocolate covered cherry. Something about the cherry coke syrup and almond extract mixed together is what gives it that special flavor. I learned this trick while baking the Red Velvet Cake Roll.
Black Forest Cake Recipe
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 cups cherry coke it will reduce to 1/2 cup of syrup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract important for cherry flavor
- 1 recipe Whipped cream frosting
- 1 jar Maraschino cherries
- 1 chocolate bar, shaved keep refrigerated until ready to use
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line 3 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper circles. Lightly grease the pans and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, bring cherry coke to boil on medium high heat. Let it simmer on medium high heat until it reduces to 1/2 cup of syrup (about 10 minutes.) Let it cool a little.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, sugar, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk until all combined.
- Separate the batter between the 3 cake pan equally.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes stand in the pans for about 10 minutes before taking them out. After taking the cakes out of the pan, cool them completely before frosting.
- Use whipped cream frosting between the layers and some maraschino cherries.
- After frosting the cake, grate the chocolate bar all over the cake. I suggest putting a large towel underneath while grating the chocolate. Top off with a few more maraschino cherries.
Make sure to let me know if you try the cake and live it!! Enjoy everyone!