4 oz dark sweet chocolate
1/2 cup water
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup softened butter (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
7-8 oz shredded coconut
1 1/2 cup chopped pecan
Preheat the oven to 350.
1. Grease the bottoms of 3 9-inch round cake pans and line with cut out parchment paper
2. Heat up the water until boiling hot and pour over the chopped chocolate. Stir constantly until the chocolate is completely melted
3. Beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy
4. Add egg yolks one at a time, beat after each addition
5. Stir in the chocolate and vanilla
6. Add flour, baking soda and salt to the bowl alternating with buttermilk. Beat well.
7. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl with clean beaters until stiff peaks appear
8. Fold the egg whites into the batter slowly
9. Separate the batter evenly between the cake pans. Try to get as close as possible so it will cook evenly.
10. Bake for 25 minutes or until the inserted in the center toothpick comes out clean.
11. Run the spatula between the cake and the sides of the pan. Cool for 10 minutes then take out pf the pans, peel the parchment paper off and cool completely before frosting.
1. Place milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla into a large saucepan
2. Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat until thickened and golden brown (about 15 minutes)
3. Remove from heat, stir in the coconut flakes and chopped pecans
4. Cool to room temperature. Spread in between the cake layers and frost the cake with it.