Delicious cold broccoli salad with sweet and fruity tones that is perfect for summer cook-outs. This broccoli salad is packed with apples, pears, pecans, blue cheese crumbles, and mixed with homemade Apple Vinaigrette.
Lots of cook-outs and BBQ parties are happening this holiday weekend and even more to come as summer is fast approaching. My house is no exception, we’ve been grilling so much lately that the inside the house now has a lingering grill smell.
I do not mind that smell at all. The smell of food cooking on the grill is an intoxicating scent that represents summer season. Waking up in the morning and catching a whiff of that scent is like tasking the yummy burgers and kebabs we had the night before. Makes me want to grill all over again.
It’s a vicious cycle but a tasty one for sure. That’s what summer is all about, having fun outdoors, splashing in the pool, and cook-outs.
I am deep in the summer mood already with summer recipes swirling in my head. It’s all burgers, chicken, cedar plank salmon, and side salads in there. I got a great idea for a broccoli salad the other that that would be great to bring to a barbecue party.
My new favorite salad to make is a pear-apple chicken salad and I have it at least once a week. There is something special about the combination of sweet, fresh fruit in a savory salad mixed with some blue cheese and an apple vinaigrette.
I’ve decided to turn this salad obsession into a broccoli salad. It turned out fantastic! The flavors go wonderfully with fresh, crispy broccoli. This side salad will be a hit of every backyard barbecue party.
HOW TO MAKE A BROCCOLI SALAD:
The best news is that there is NO cooking involved and all you have to do is chop some fruit and veggies.
Pick out nice, crispy broccoli for the salad because it will be the best texture after it gets a chance to soak up some apple vinaigrette.
Make this broccoli salad about 2 hours ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge to “marinade.”
You can choose to use candied pecans (pralines) or regular pecans according to your sweetness preference.
Adding a shallot will add another layer of flavor for those who like the taste of raw onion.
After all your ingredients have been chopped and added to the bowl, all you need to do is mix it all with some apple vinaigrette, chill, and enjoy.
Apple vinaigrette can be homemade or store-bought.
SOME MORE SALAD RECIPES TO TRY:
If you made any of my recipes and shared them on Instagram, make sure to tag me @willcookforsmiles and #willcookforsmiles so I can see all the things you tried!
Connect with Will Cook For Smiles!
Be sure to click below and follow me on my social media, so you never miss a recipe.
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Pear Apple Broccoli Salad
- 2 broccoli bunches each bunch is normally 3 stalks
- 1 large Fuji apple another sweeter apple can be used
- 1 pear
- 1 cup candied pecans plain pecan can be substituted
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 shallot
- 3/4 cup apple vinaigrette
- Dash of salt
- Cut off broccoli florets and chop them into smaller pieces. Add broccoli to a mixing bowl.
- Slice shallot thinly and add it to the broccoli.
- Peel, core, and dice apple and pear. Add it to the broccoli as well.
- Chop pecan and add it to the bowl with other veggies and fruit.
- Add blue cheese crumbles to the bowl. Mix everything gently and add a little salt.
- Add apple vinaigrette and mix gently until all evenly combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.