Amazing Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs dinner. Juicy and flavorful turkey meatballs cooked with red bell peppers and homemade zesty sweet and sour sauce.
Oh…my….God, you guys!! The sauce…the meatballs…this sauce with these meatballs is ah-mazing! Sweet and sour sauce is one of my favorite Asian inspired sauces (tied with bourbon and teriyaki sauces) and this is my one and only recipe. Every time I make it, there is just nothing else I want to add or take away from it. Normally, I make it for a simple chicken dish but paired with these meatballs, pure heaven!
If you don’t want to make turkey meatballs, you can easily make them into chicken or beef/pork meatballs. Each meat has it’s merits and you should try them all. Turkey meatballs would be the leaner ones of all three, of course, but they are still full or flavor. Chicken meatballs would be a little juicier and have a bit different texture from both, turkey or beef. I’m definitely trying this dish with chicken meatballs next.
I recommend serving these meatballs over some jasmine rice. You can also steam some vegetable on a side, with or instead of rice.
Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs
- 1.25 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp oil for cooking
- 1 red bell pepper
- Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes depends on hot spicy you want it
- Preheat a large pan with oil, over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredient for the meatballs (not the oil of course) and mix until all evenly combined.
- Form meatballs, about an inch in size.
- Cook meatballs on medium heat, covered, for 5-7 minutes.
- Flip meatballs and add chopped bell pepper. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients for sweet and sour sauce and whisk well.
- Add sauce to the pan with meatballs and stir carefully. Cook, still over medium heat, for 7-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve over rice.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Sweet Heat Meatballs from The Cooking Jar
Slow Cooker Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs from Creme de la Crumb
Slow Cooker Cocktail Meatballs from Mom on Timeout
Honey Garlic Crock Pot Meatballs from Family Fresh Meals
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!