1 package (12-oz) vanilla wafers
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups of 2% milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 egg yolks
1 large vanilla bean
1 cup of heavy cream
2 tbs sugar
1. In a medium sauce pot on medium heat, heat up the milk, heavy cream and vanilla bean to 160 degrees.
2. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise. Scrape out the vanilla beans into the milk. Stir well.
3. Combine sugar, salt, flour and cornstarch in a medium mixing bowl, mix well and set aside
4. In a large metal mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks.
5. Very slowly, pour in 1/2 cup of milk mixture into the eggs while constantly whisking.
6. Pour in another 1/2 cup of milk mixture, very slowly, keep whisking.
7. Slowly, whisk in the dry ingredients. Whisk well.
8. Pour the mixture from the mixing bowl back into the sauce pot, stirring constantly.
9. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the spoon. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
10. Line bottom of a glass baking dish with half of the vanilla wafers.
11. Arrange half of banana slices over wafers; top with half of cooled custard.
12. Repeat layers. (reserve a few wafers to crumble and sprinkle over the top)
13.Whip the 1 cup of cold heavy cream with 2 tbs of sugar until soft peaks form.
14. Spread the whipped cream over the top custard layer. Sprinkle with crumbled wafers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
* I am linking this recipe to the ALL THE PARTIES. Why don’t you visit the wonderful hosts and link some of your own projects!?