This amazing chocolate cake roll is a perfect dessert for winter holidays. Soft chocolate cake roll filled with light and fluffy frosting with folded mini marshmallows, drizzled with chocolate syrup and topped with more marshmallows. Perfect cake to have with a mug of hot cocoa.
Chocolate Cake Roll
I think I have a reputation now for making everyone’s desserts. This Hot Chocolate Cake Roll is a cake that I made for a close friend to take home with her to her family. She is going through some hard times and when I asked if there was anything I could do, she said “Chocolate Cake!”
She is a big fan of chocolate like me, so I knew immediately that it would have to be a chocolate cake. I decided to make it Hot Chocolate themed because it can be so comforting. The soft, moist chocolate cake, smooth frosting, and marshmallows all make it a comforting holiday dessert
Little man and I sure loved it. Best part about making cake for someone else is getting the scraps without having this deliciously tempting cake sitting in the fridge, calling your name.
After rolling the cake, I had to make it look even, so I cut off small slices off of each end. I don’t think I’ve seen my little guy inhale a cake faster than that before. It really was so good and tasted just like hot cocoa!
How to make chocolate cake roll:
Making a cake roll is a lot easier than it looks. It’s a simple beating of ingredients for cake batter and then baking for a few minutes. The hardest part is rolling it but really, it’s also quite simple.
Start by getting a rimmed large baking sheet that’s 17 in x 11 in x 1 in. Prepare the baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper all over the bottom and spray with cooking spray (make sure to get the sides too).
Beat your cake ingredients like it says in the recipe and evenly spread it all over the prepare baking sheet. Tap the baking sheet on the counter a couple of times to get the air bubbles out.
Bake the cake for 7-9 minutes. Once you take the cake out, run a spatula along the edges to separate it from the pan.
Generously sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with cocoa and powdered sugar. Turn the cake pan upside down onto the towel. Carefully remove parchment paper. Trim off crusty edges if necessary.
While the cake is still hot, gently roll cake with the towel from narrow end (don’t make it too tight and don’t press).
Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
After about 30 minutes, gently unroll the cake and spread frosting all over, leaving about an inch and a half one of the short ends.
Carefully roll the cake back up (starting with the side that has frosting) and place cake on the serving dish seam down.
Check out these other great cake recipes:
Christmas Vanilla Cake Roll from Roxana’s Homebaking
Carrot Cake Roll from Crazy For Crust
Tiramisu Cake Roll from Diethood
Chocolate Peppermint Cake Roll from Very Culinary
If you don’t want to miss any new recipes, subscribe to e-mail or follow me through my social media channels!
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.
Hot Chocolate Cake Roll
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Unsweetened baking cocoa and powdered sugar for rolling the cake
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip in tub not can
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Chocolate syrup
- Mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 and line 17x11x1 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil spray (make sure to get the sides too).
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes until thick and light yellow.
- Slowly beat in granulated sugar.
- Lower speed to low and add water and vanilla extract.
- Still on low, slowly add flour, ¼ cup cocoa, the baking powder and salt. Beat just until batter is smooth.
- Pour into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 7-8 minutes and do a toothpick test. Run a spatula around edges of the pan to loosen cake.
- Generously sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with cocoa and powdered sugar. Turn the cake pan upside down onto the towel. Carefully remove parchment paper. Trim off crusty edges if necessary.
- While the cake is still hot, gently roll cake with the towel from narrow end (don't make it too tight and don't press.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make frosting: Beat cream cheese with sugar on medium-high for about 2 minutes, until light and smooth. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and add marshmallow fluff. Beat until combined. On low speed, beat in Cool Whip just until combined. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and add marshmallows. Fold them in with a spatula until all incorporated.
- Unroll cake carefully. Carefully, spread frosting all over the cake, leaving about an inch and a half one of the short ends.
- Carefully roll the cake back up (starting with the side that has frosting) and place cake on the serving dish seam down.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and top off with some mini marshmallows.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!
More Cake Recipes From Me:
This recipe was originally posted on Will Cook For Smiles on December 23rd, 2014.
Ok so I want to make this for Christmas, but my family and I aren’t huge fans of buttercream. Would whipped cream in a tub be good? I’ve seen people do it but I’m worried it would melt and sink into the cake.
I think it would melt and sink into the cake. You could use my cream cheese frosting instead of the buttercream. Here is the link if you’d like to try it.