Amazing cake packed with cinnamon deliciousness. Cinnamon roll inspired cake roll filled with delicate cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
How can you possibly make Cinnamon Rolls any better? Making it into a cake, of course!
It’s been a few weeks since I made a nice dessert to share with you. Last week, I made a Pumpkin Carrot Cake with Cinnamon Frosting for my father-in-law, for his birthday. As we were eating it, I thought that it would be really nice in a cake roll too. Hubs was actually looking forward to that cake roll until I flipped the switch on him. I just thought that carrot cake was a little overdone lately and pumpkin has been frequenting my kitchen several times a week. I just needed a little break from pumpkin but cinnamon….I can’t take a break cinnamon. Cinnamon rocks! Cinnamon rolls rock too and so does cake!
You can see where I’m going with this…
Cinnamon Roll Cake Roll
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Powder sugar for rolling
- 8 oz cream cheese room temerature
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup COOL WHIP topping
- 1 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 and line 17x11x1 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil spray (make sure to get the sides too).
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes until thick and light yellow.
- Slowly beat in granulated sugar.
- Lower speed to low and add water and vanilla extract.
- Still on low, slowly add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat just until batter is smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- In a small sauce pot, over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Stir for a couple of minutes and then drizzle over the cake batter. Carefully swirl the cake batter.
- Bake for 8 minutes and touch the center of the cake to make sure it's done.
- Run a spatula around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Let it rest for a few minutes.
- Generously sprinkle a clean kitchen towel with powder sugar. Carefully, turn the cake pan upside down onto the towel. Gently remove parchment paper. Trim off crusty edges if necessary.
- While the cake is still hot, gently roll cake with the towel from narrow end (don't make it too tight and don't press).
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese on medium-high speed, until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the speed to low and beat in powder sugar and cinnamon.
- Turn up the speed back to medium-high and beat for about 3-4 minutes, until the frosting is light, smooth and fluffy.
- Turn speed back down to low and fold in COOL WHIP. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl and fold until all mixed.
- Unroll cake carefully. Spread frosting all over the cake, leaving about an inch and a half one of the short ends(not the one you start rolling on).
- Carefully roll the cake back up (starting with the side that has filling to the edge) and place cake on the serving dish, seam down.
- Warm up heavy cream and vanilla, but not too hot. Add powder sugar to the warmed heavy cream and whisk slowly, until all smooth. Drizzle all over the cake.
Recipe from Lyuba @ willcookforsmiles.com. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Tiramisu Cake Roll from Diethood
Creamy Lemon Angel Cake Roll from Yummy Healthy Easy
Vanilla Funfetti Cake Roll from Shugary Sweets
Coconut Key Lime Angel Food Cake Roll from Flavor The Moments
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!