Easy, soft, and fluffy Eggnog Poke Cake to delight everyone this season. This cake is spiced with nutmeg, soaked in a sweet eggnog sauce and then, topped with creamy eggnog topping.
Where do you stand on Eggnog? Love it or hate it?
Personally, I fall somewhere in the middle. I love the flavor of an eggnog with some nutmeg and rum but I can not drink it. It’s hard for me to get passed the whole drinking raw egg thing. I don’t care how good it tastes, I keep thinking that I’m drinking raw eggs. Although, that does not seem to bother my husband in the least. He loves the eggnog and get so sad when the season is over and it’s no longer available at the stores.
I prefer eggnog in treats and it doesn’t even have to be cooked or baked. If it’s not a straight up drink, I can totally get passed the raw egg thing. Much like in tiramisu, the raw egg doesn’t bother me if it’s mixed into the creamy whipped topping or custard. My brain gets fooled by the fact that I’m not “drinking” raw egg.
When I can fool myself, I am all over some eggnog flavored desserts. Like this amazing eggnog poke cake…WOW!
This cake is super easy because I used a box of cake mix for the cake base and just flavored it with addition of nutmeg and rum extract. To soak the cake, I used a mixture of sweetened condensed milk and eggnog. For the creamy topping, I whipped up some cream cheese, eggnog, and COOL Whip topping. It’s the perfect light and silky topping for a soft poke cake. This cake almost has a Tres Leches quality to it being soaked in sweet sauce and topped with creamy topping.
Eggnog Poke Cake
- 1 box of white cake mix
- Ingredients listed on the box most likely oil, water and eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp rum extract
- Sweet sauce:
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz COOL Whip topping
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Prepare cake batter according to the box instructions. Add nutmeg and rum extract while preparing the batter.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared baking dish, spread it evenly, and tap the pan on the counter to bring the air bubbles up.
- Bake according to the box instructions.
- Take the cake out and let it cool to room temperature. Poke holes all over the cake, about half way deep.
- In a sauce pot, over medium heat, combine sweetened condensed milk, eggnog, nutmeg, and rum extract. Whisk together and heat through.
- Once the mixture is heated through (don't boil), take off heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Pour the sweet sauce mixture all over the cake, evenly. Try to hit all the holes in the cake.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (Can be prepared the day before too.)
- Beat cream cheese and sugar for a couple of minutes.
- Add nutmeg and eggnog and beat for about a minute, until smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in COOL Whip topping until completely combined.
- Spread topping all over the cake.
- Optional: You can sprinkle a little extra nutmeg on top.
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
Don’t forget to sign up for email, so you won’t miss any new recipes.