Amazing, soft breakfast muffins! These muffins are packed with sweet and salty flavors from maple syrup and crispy bacon. They are also topped with maple bacon streusel and crushed pecans.
If you told me just a few years ago that I would be craving maple bacon flavor combination, I would not believe you.
First time I encountered this flavor combination was when I worked at the Cracker Barrel and one of my customers poured maple syrup over her bacon. She noticed me stare at her plate in confusion and chuckled. “I guess you’ve never tried that before, have you?” she asked. I did not…and neither did it sound good at the time. I must have been 18 years old and not even close to be as adventurous as I came to be with food.
A few years passed (and I thought about it often) until I finally decided to bite the bullet and try maple syrup on my bacon. It was awesome! It actually became one of my favorite sweet and salty flavor combinations. Now, a few more years passed until I was brave enough to try bacon on desserts but maple syrup and bacon are almost inseparable at breakfast. That’s why I incorporated it in our morning muffins. These muffins have been very popular with family and friends and I urge you to try it for yourself.
Maple Bacon Streusel Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bacon grease collect from cooking bacon in the oven
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 6 crispy bacon strips crumbled
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour + 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 2 crispy bacon strips crumbled
- 3 Tbsp crushed pecans
- You can cook bacon right before making muffins or ahead of time and just save some bacon grease. To make bacon in the oven: preheat the oven to 400. Cover a large cookie baking sheet with aluminum foil and layer bacon strips side by side, in one layer. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes. Remember, bake time will depend on thickness of bacon strips. Take out of the oven and drain bacon grease into a separate bowl. Set bacon strips aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 12-cup muffin pan with some baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg, sugar, maple syrup, bacon grease, vanilla extract, sour cream and buttermilk until all smooth.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add crumbled bacon and mix until evenly incorporated. Set batter aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar and flour. Mix well until all dry ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- Pour in melted butter and maple syrup, carefully fold/cut it in with a large fork. You will want to be careful so you don’t over-mix. Streusel should look like large crumbs and not paste.
- Fold in crumbled bacon and pecans.
- Fill muffin pan cups ¾ full with muffin batter.
- Sprinkle about two tablespoons of streusel on top of each muffin and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes (Do a toothpick test to check if they are done.).
Check out these great recipes from other bloggers:
Blueberry Peach Cobbler Muffins from Spoonful of Flavor
Peach Crumble Muffins from Deliciously Sprinkled
Banana Nut Oat Muffins from The Gunny Sack
Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins from Chocolate, Chocolate and More Chocolate
Make sure you follow me through your favorite blog reader (bloglovin or other), subscribe to e-mail or follow me through social media of your choice to keep up with the recipes!
More Recipes From Me: