Classic Caprese Salad (homegrown)

This is a very exciting post for me! I’ve already mentioned to you guys that I have a little urban garden. I am happy to announce…my very first batch of tomatoes is ripe!!
This is not only my first batch this year, it is my first batch EVER! I used to help my grandparents with gardening when I was little, but it is a whole new feeling harvesting your very own vegetables. Nothing is more delicious than homegrown!
Caprese salad is a very simple, Italian salad. This combination of flavors is so perfect and flavorful. You can serve it as an appetizer or a side dish and the best part is how easy it is to make.

1/2 lb Fresh mozzarella
6 grape Tomatoes (you can use 1-2 regular tomatoes, I just prefer grape)
6-8 Whole Basil leaves
2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tbs Olive oil
Salt

1. Slice fresh mozzarella into 1/4 inch thick slices. Slice the tomatoes into thick slices as well. Alternating, layer the tomatoes and mozzarella one after another.

2. Add basil leaves in between each layer.

3. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive and vinegar.

Enjoy!!

* I am linking this recipe to   THESE GREAT PARTIES, in my party tab. Why don’t you visit the wonderful hosts and link some of your own projects!?

Comments

1. Monica Morelli (Nash) says

This is making my mouth water, it looks so good! I love caprese salad, and nothing beats home grown.

2. Patsy Dodd says

I love Caprese salad..especially when I have fresh tomatoes and basil from my “garden’  This makes me wantto make some right now!

3. Jodi says

Caprese salads are one of my favorites. Love that you were able to get it straight from your garden. We have just planted ours, and I’m looking forward to meals like this.

4. Suzyhomemaker says

I made a caprese salad not too long ago with homemade ingredients as well. Although I did not have tomatoes, I did make homemade mozzarella! It was yummy.

5. Kylie @absolutelyarkansas says

YUMMY! I love caprese. I made it for a family bbq last weekend and ate much more than I should have thats for sure! I love that you used home grown tomatos too, that must send the delicious level right over the top! Thanks for sharing!

-Kylie
    absolutelyarkansas.blogspot.com

6. amy says

That looks sooo good!  I’m growing basil and tomatoes this year…I’ll have to keep this recipe in mind!  Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

7. Charlene@A Pinch of Joy says

Congratulations on your gardening milestone.  Homegrown is the best! And the results on the table look delicious.

Thanks so much for sharing on Busy
    Monday at A Pinch of Joy.  Hope to see
    you again soon!

8. says

Your little garden is lovely!!  Good for you finding a way to have one!  I can’t wait for my tomatoes to ripen up so I can make too!  Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

9. Rachel says

Caprese Salad is one of my favorites!  I am sure that home-grown brings it to the next level.. yummy!

10. Monica Morelli (Nash) says